Hunkering down

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I got a bottle of small batch bourbon, some big bags of jerky, some pop tarts and a case of SanPellegrino grapefruit soda.....bring it!

Seriously, house built in 57 is probably stronger than any of the shelters. I parked 2 of my cars inside the building at work and backed the third beastly car (a Honda Element) up tight to the garage door to keep the garage intact.

So many huge trees around my house will be the issue. I am not in a flood zone. But those huge trees.....

See you on the flip side.

DustinDavis and DYohn like this.
  2. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

God luck Mike. Please report back ASAP after the storm. Looks like you got all the essentials on hand what else a man needs! :):rolleyes:

Mike likes this.
  3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Forecast is for eye to hit Tampa now. Mike, be safe!

4. Mike

Still have power. Light rain, no wind yet. All expected to change by noon.

5. Mike

Real stress is when.....

You are out in front of your home cutting wood to cover the windows while a hurricane is approaching and your wife, who has never before used a circular saw in her entire life....and actually covers her ears, backs up 5 feet and grimaces when the saw is being used, starts to give you advice on how to use the circular saw.

Just sayin'

The struggle is real. :)

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Stay safe.

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Wow we are in for a ride.

I did not cover windows no plywood but hoping for the best. Worried abou all these damn oak trees that helped make the house so honey when buying it. Good news is we took down the one rotten one last winter and the rest were healthy.

Got large bottle of Sangria, who needs water. Lots of jerky peanut butter jelly bread and spect to be at least a few days without power.

Drained pool a little hoping it might help slow water coming in back if it has to fill pool first.

Nervous but hoping it fizzles. Friends down in Miami and Ft Lauderdale have been telling me it is fucking awful.

Mike likes this.
  8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Stay safe guys!

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Worried about all you Floridians. I hope landfall takes some steam out of Irma.

10. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Hoping for the best for you guys down there.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Well, now I know what our house feels like when it's full. Right now it's my wife and I, daughter #1 and daughter #2, with her husband and 2 grandsons. 2 people in each bedroom and daughter #1 is sleeping on the couch. We are also hosting 4 dogs and 5 cats.The dogs are in the garage and the cats are split between a bathroom and a closet.

12. Dan Driscoll

In a lull right now, taking the dogs out for a potty break. Made a couple gallons of pasta sauce this morning.

DustinDavis likes this.
  13. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Be careful down there all of you.

14. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

All you Floridians please report back when when it's all over. Stay safe.

15. Dan Driscoll

Irma has dropped to a Cat 2 hurricane. Good news for the next target, Ft. Meyers.

It should continue to weaken if it stays over land and is now projected to be Cat 1 when it hits the Tampa/St. Pete area.

16. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

You Tampa folks should be ok with only having to deal with cat 1 storm. Dan, I never board up.

17. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It is looking like a cat 1 but now it is on a direct target for me I think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

18. Dan Driscoll

It's like having a new car. I've got a shiny new house and don't want to get any dings on it. ;)

The panels came with the house and I get a discount on my HO insurance for having them. But I believe there is a clause in my insurance policy that reduces my coverage if the panels are not put up for hurricanes.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  19. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Now drinking and watching the hurricane show on TV. Amazed at how bad it is on the east coast even though it tracks the west.

You guys stay dry eh?

20. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Trying to - I'm on the other coast that is not being hit hard. Let water out of the pool 3 times today, including about 90 minutes ago and just had to leave the hose out there vs. roll it up. Besides Tornado warnings, right now there is wind probably in the mid 40mph range with gusts up to 70 and it will probably go up another 15 or so mph over the next few hours.