1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How do you listen to your music collection?

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by capsuleri, Aug 15, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

One album at a time? Or randomly from your play list. I am more liking the random more these days than a whole album at a time.

2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

In the car I'll listen to random. Which means a Dead Kennedys song might be followed by one from the Moana soundtrack. Can be jarring but can also be fun.

At home it's almost always album at a time. For the past year or so, home has been almost exclusively vinyl albums and I've really been enjoying that experience of not really being able to jump around and just listening from start to finish (with a break to flip the record :) )

3. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

At Home Album centered....
    Car...Play list or NPR or whatever....
    At Work..... radio or Definite Playlist.
    Running, biking.... Ipod Play list

I used to do more RANDOM, but the Jarring
    aspect isn't always welcome

4. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

When at home, almost always album based. In the car, it's a combo of albums, playlist or random; depends on the mood.

5. At home, it's physical, CDs, SACDs, blu-rays, and maybe vinyl, so by album.
    In the car, mostly from a USB stick with albums on it, so mostly by album.
    At work, either Spotify or a large USB disc, so albums, or perhaps random by artist.
    On the bus, Spotify, albums or random by artist.

6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

In the car, the radio. At home, mostly cd's, some lp's. One disc at a time. I don't do playlists. I have a bunch of cd's loaded into the computer that I almost never play. I consider making playlists too much of a hassle.

7. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I either use my Lumin App (for my Lumin U1) in the main system or JRiver in other systems. If I get a new album, I'll generally listen to the album. Once I've listened a couple of times I will more often pick and choose what I want to listen to. If I make a change to the system (e.g. interconnect, power cord), I generally have a go to list in my head of what to listen to to see if I like the change or not. In the car if it is a short ride, I'll leave FM Radio on in the background and if longer I have a USB thumb drive with about 6,500 songs (which every now and then I'll add to) either in 320kbps MP3s or WMA (and that is what the car audio system will play). Unless someone comes over, I'll rarely play discs (an exception is something like the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary box set where I took a quick listen to the Blu-Ray with high rez audio last light and my re-visit it later).

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I almost always start out random, but then quite often a track will remind me how great the album was and I end up playing that whole album.

9. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Album at a time, from my iTunes via puter headphone system and on my good headphone system which is CD driven. Used to listen in car and still try to, but wife talks over it.

Denton likes this.
  10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Vinyl and occasionally a CD album when I'm in the mood. Alexa randomizes my Amazon collection in the kitchen while I cook and slug down a vin ordinaire. I bluetooth the phone in the car when I'm beyond NPR range.

11. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I've been all digital for years, so spend more time randomly picking tracks to play more often than entire albums. I also rate my songs as best as I can and use iTunes smartplaylists quite a bit.

DYohn likes this.
  12. capsuleri

When playing physical sources i.e. CD, cassette, LP I always play the whole album. Now that I have nearly everything that I own digitized into folders and sub folders by genres ex (Jazz has sub folders - Classic jazz, Latin jazz, Modern Jazz, Light Jazz etc.) I tend to listen each genre and sub-genre collection randomly. I call it the radio mode without the DJ intro.

BTW, I calculated 1mb FLAC (sampling rates 5-9) is approx 0.1 minute of music.

13. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Home: Oppo 203 streaming Flac media from NAS
    Marantz Receiver and Spotify or Flac media from NAS
    Vinyl - Tehnics 1200 connected to receiver.

Car: Plex (same flac library from NAS) using my phone connected to car stereo via Bluetooth, or Spotify from Phone connected to car via Bluetooth.

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I definitely listen to playlists and stations more frequently than albums but I do do both. I'm all digital as well. I got rid of all my physical media, movies and music (and video games for the record). Mobile, I listen via bluetooth headphones and at home I stream through my Arcam AirDAC for serious listening or my Sonos system for casual. Both cases I'm more typically pulling from Apple Music than my local collection. I have an old file of FLAC files of CDs I owned but I don't even have it mounted any more. I listen to all lossy music all the time. You can revoke my audiophile card any time.

15. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

But you're missing all this stuff
    95d2a58532002fb7f260989e4ecac586.jpg

capsuleri likes this.
  16. capsuleri

All my music is on a 128Gb micro SD card. I use a microSD to USB adapter to plug it into the USB input on the receiver, shorter the path the better. Why microSD instead of 128Gb USB flash? First, because all the reviews I read said they heat up very quickly and die. In contrast I accidentally washed and dried the microSD card recently nothing happened! Also, I can use the microSD card in the car .

17. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Make sure you have a secure backup...

18. capsuleri

Oh Yeah,. The microSD is really a copy of my music collection with a few exceptions. In reality I need a 256Gb microSD card - they are still too expensive.

DYohn likes this.