1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

How can movie theaters compete with your living room? By building a better living room.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 9, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm still bitter they tore it down to make a fucking parking lot. Living in a place like Omaha has many advantages. Appreciation for history and culture is not one of them.

2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Active Member War Zone Member

I may have to wait a couple of months, but another reason I prefer my theater...

Auditorium: 3
    Reserved Seats: E9, E10, E11, E12
    Ticket: 4 Adult; $84.76
    Convenience Fee: $7.48
    Ticket Total: $92.24

Summary
    Subtotal: $92.24
    Ticket Admission Tax: $5.84
    Convenience Fee Tax: $0.52
    Total Amount: $98.60

Payment Details
    $98.60 charged to MasterCard

3. Travis Ballstadt

Travis Ballstadt New Member

That is incredible. I bought 7 reserved seat tickets to opening night of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at the FLIX Brewhouse and it was only $84 total.

4. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Can a real movie theater large screen experience be replicated in a multiplex or in a home theater? IMO not.

Then again, IMO today's movies lack the story telling and the dialog of the old movies, such as the Graduate, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, North By Northwest, To have or Have not, Street Car named Desire, Godfather, the Bond movies, Star Wars etc. Dialog today are too clipped not even a full phrase, or grunts, groans, yelling and moans.

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

wow $98.60
    A 'c note nearly to go to the movies.

I went to a 10AM showing...less than $12
    most of the other shows were less than $10

6. CJ

Our ticket prices aren't quite that high, but we usually let our kids do concessions so its not uncommon for us to hit $150+ total.

7. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Wow - only been to the theater once in the last 5 years (for a matinee and now I can even get the senior rate). Did not realize how high prices have become.

8. CJ

Our tickets are still under $10 for non-reserved theaters. Barry's numbers seem like worst case, expensive market, reserved seating, paid for through an app. I could post matinee, Omaha, bought on-site, non-reserved pricing and it would be $20 for 4 tickets and that would still be a relatively new, clean, digital projection, good SQ theater. There's still a $2 theater in town.

9. Barry_NJ

Well the app I used was AMC's own web-site, not a 3rd party, and the convenience fee for using the app was $7.50, seat prices are the same whether paid through the app or at the box-office. This is a "Dolby Vision" theater, so yes, a standard theater at this venue is less expensive but still above $15. I could go to smaller theaters in the area, which brings ticket price to about $12, but then I really do get a better aural/visual experience in my home theater. If I'm going to the theater, I want the experience to surpass what I get at home, and even with the "Dolby Vision", I'm not sure I really enjoy it more than my theater, but it'll be more of an event this way.

CJ likes this.
  10. CJ

I'm not criticizing your calculation. I'm just pointing out you're in the high side of cost of living areas, and you were doing premium reserved seating and paying a fee above the ticket price. That ultimately inflates the price. I'd say I'm on the low end for the same reasons in the opposite direction. The average is probably somewhere around 12.50 per person. Your number of over $20 per person is not going to be typical.

At the end of the day, my signature quote applies here.

11. Barry_NJ

LOL, yes, your signature quote is relevant, and I suppose that's the cost of doing business in the shadow of Manhattan. If we start comparing acreage + square footage against property values + taxes, you guys would probably have heart attacks, or I'd probably need to drown my sorrows in alcohol :D

12. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Amen to Barry! The northeast is just stupid expensive.

As far as theaters go, I only go to see James Bond once every two to three years. I just think the typical customer experience just sucks. High prices, expensive crappy food, 30 minutes worth of trailers and the smell of stale popcorn in the theater. They are generally clean and kind of comfortable but just not my thing.

13. Barry_NJ

So I just got home from my $100 movie night with my family, and yes the surround sound was immersive, and the low frequencies were definitely felt, but overall I felt the volume was too high or maybe I'm just getting old. Also the image wasn't really that much better than I get at home, and the perspective wasn't anymore impressive. In general it was fun, and I really liked the movie, but I'm not in a hurry to go back to a theater anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

14. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

fair en'uff.
    I assume you saw one of the big Block Busters?
    WW....Pirates...Mummy?

15. Barry_NJ

Wonder Woman, and I'll be buying the Blu-Ray when it's released.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

16. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I tend to wait for the Blu-Rays to buy stuff or in some cases online services. The theater experience has changed so much (cost, etc.) over the years that it generally is not high on my list to go to the theater. If it is something I might really like, I would wait until the initial hype/release rush is over with before going to see it.

17. Barry_NJ

Well, the place was clean, the crowd was well behaved, and the seats were big comfy recliners, so in general, it wasn't a bad "Theater Experience". I suppose my main gripes were price, and sound/volume. I felt the sound was too hyped up, loud. There were times when I thought there was some distortion due to excessive volume, and when people are talking to each other, having a conversation on screen, it's just not as loud in real life as it was being played in the theater. I enjoyed the LFE, and really think I want to add an external sub to my theater, but I think I'm truly happier viewing a movie at home than in a theater.

Phil A likes this.
  18. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I'd have to agree about the enjoyment of watching a movie at home. I've been in theaters with bad projection (when I went to see Avatar for the second time with a bunch of people as one in the crowd had not seen it everyone remarked about it - at the price per ticket it was overpriced). When I waited to see 'The Phantom Menace' when it was almost out of theaters and late on a Sunday night (probably about 7-8 people in the theater), the sound was just not up to what I have at home. It was disappointing. I've had a few more experiences that were less than ideal. As a result, slowly over time, I've gone to the movies less and less. I feel as if I miss something worthwhile there is always a disc release, a point at which the disc release comes down in price (e.g. $14.99, $9.99 for a Blu-Ray) and a point when you can watch it on something like Netflix.

19. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

It's hard to justify the theater for me on most days just on 'price' alone...when it's $50 for two, with two pop & a bag of popcorn...that's just ridiculous. That said...some movies you just have to see the first run in theaters, I wouldn't want to see a Star Wars movie for the first time at home for example. I go see the "big" movies in theater, and by big I don't mean blockbuster, but more 'screen size lends to effect'. Like Jay said, seeing Avatar the first time outside of theaters certainly did not have the same effect as in the theater.
    Theaters to me are getting too 'gimicky', it's not an amusement park ride, I don't need my seat to sway, vibrate or be spritzed in the face with water to be immersed in a film. Drop the price point and you'll see me there more often.

20. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Actually. in this area, movie theaters close and become gym's at an amazing pace. I don't know if it is lower demand or over supply.