1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Home Theater Lounge System of the Month

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 10, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

We're rolling out a new feature at Home Theater Lounge, the system of the month. This will be sort of a "raise your hand if you're interested" thing for the time being, and as long as there is interest. I'll keep this as a running thread rather than breaking out monthly threads, but I'll include each month's system in the HTL newsletter.

2. CJ

The May 2017 system of the month is from member @Phil A

I sincerely appreciate Phil's willingness to participate and lead the charge. Thank you Phil!

Phil says:

This is my primary music system and overall my best home theater system. It is a dedicated room approximately 16x18 feet with 10 foot ceilings (plus a quad tray ceiling that is another foot) that opens into other spaces. It has been through several iterations over the years but currently consists of Thiel CS 3.7 speakers, dual Rel Storm III subs for music, a Modwright LS36.5 DM preamp and a Modwright KWA150 SE amp. The main sources are a Lumin U1 digital music server (fed by a Synology DS716+ NAS) with a EMM Labs DAC 2X (version 2), an Onkyo TX-RZ3100 receiver (using 11 channels) and an Oppo BDP-103D. The equipment sits on an Odyssey Audio Massiv Rack (about 350 lbs. net weight) which was designed to my specs.

Thiel CS 3.7s main speakers
    Thiel MCS1 center channel
    Thiel SCS2 side and rear surrounds
    Thiel MCS1 center channel
    Thiel SCS2 side and rear surrounds
    Thiel Power Point Height Channels
    Axiom Audio in-ceiling rear Atmos speakers
    Rel Storm III subwoofers for music
    Power Sound Audio S1500 subwoofer for movies
    Onkyo TX-RZ3100 receiver
    Modwright LS36.5 DM preamp
    Modwright KWA150 SE amplifier
    Lumin U1 digital music server
    EMM Labs DAC 2X (version 2)
    Torus RM-20 power conditioner
    Roku 3 movie streamer
    Samsung DTB-H260F TV tuner
    Epson Home Cinema 5030UB projector
    Stewart 100 inch Grayhawk screen
    Odyssey Audio Massiv rack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sean E

Sean E Member

That looks outstanding and I am sure it sounds even more so!

Phil A and CJ like this.
  4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Sean - thanks - how's the DSD files I did for you a couple of years back

5. Sean E

Sean E Member

Phil, listening to one of those right now! They sounds great. I am trying out a new amp and I find the DSD material the best for testing.

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I'm still busy with computer audio stuff, re-tagging for the new network streamer (Lumin U1). Then I'll back stuff up after re-tagging them.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Nice! But, a quick question, what's with the center acoustic panel sitting in the way of the screen?

8. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I remove it for movies and it comes out easy. I have a stand it sits in. It stays there for music. I have an acoustic panel about 8 feet behind the listening position in a similar stand

Sean E likes this.
  9. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

10. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

You can actually see the top part of the stand in a couple of the shots. I have a stand on the bottom of the left panel too - the right one is held in place by the right channel Rel Subwoofer

11. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Active Member War Zone Member

Beautiful Phil! I wish my room was presentable with the lights on...

12. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Barry - Thanks - I still do miss my basement (though I'm at the current FL for 3.5 years) and I liked a big room that was readily light controlled (I keep the room dark in my Back-up 2 system which is in a smallish bedroom) I had in VA for movies. It was a nice space. That's part of the reason why I probably alternate HT viewing a bit more than I used to. Below is a pic of my old basement in VA
    Basement2.JPG

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

When I was in VA, I had a bedroom system but never used it tons for movies (perhaps I watched about a half dozen/year and about double that in the main system) as it was easy to use the basement at any time of day. Below is what my main system looked like at one point in VA (note that it had 19 ft. ceilings, opened into other spaces with tons of windows up high that didn't lend itself to watching TV or movies during the day).
    Living Room2.jpg

14. CJ

The June system of the month is Claud's desktop headphone rig. Thanks for agreeing to participate Claud!

Here is a basic computer music system. This is for those of us that like to listen to tunes while surfing , etc on our computer. The components are a Schiit Vali 2 amp and a Schiit Multibit DAC. The amp is a hybrid tube amp that uses any tube in the 6DJ8/6922 family. I like Russian 6H23 tubes in mine. You can also buy an adapter on Ebay and use 6SN7 tubes too. The DAC is a very advanced DAC for its price. Schiit will admit that the Modi and Bifrost Multibit DACs are about equal in performance, but the Modi Multibit is NOT upgradeable. I listen to this system with any of my headphones. It sounds good with all of them. The system connects with your computer with a USB cord and you need a short pair of interconnects to connect the amp and DAC. I have changed all of these to Wywires cables.

View attachment 27337

View attachment 27338