Here comes another one!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Denton, Aug 31, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Current wind speed probabilities from the National Hurricane Center. Note that Jose is now a Cat 3, although it is turning north sooner than Irma.

093751.png

2. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Not a weather expert, but it would appear to me that Jose may have pushed Irma more westward by crawling up her ass:)

3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Phil's approach would certainly mitigate the constant "you're gonna die" chant from the rest. o_O

And the couple that Randy linked to look like my grandparents. God rest their souls.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It looks like the eye is going to be coming pretty damn close to my house now. I am talking like 30 miles or less. I am hoping it is down to as cat 2 by then but they are saying it could still be as high as s cat 4 but likely a cat 3. Really getting nervous would head north but my understanding is hotels are packed right on through Georgia.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This is horrible. I would open my home to anyone needing space but I hear the roads are all backed up. This is just too sad.

7. Phil A

I sweated Matthew last year and I started to put up the shutters later than I should (and put the first one up wrong). I did manage to get some help for a couple of hours towards the end. Much better prepared this time. I have a (PVC) table and 4 chairs that I will clean tomorrow and bring in (at this point I am not sure I need to but will do it anyway - can't hurt). Matthew was not that far from me (Post-Tropical Cyclone Matthew: 9/28/2016 - 10/09/2016). Did have some minor damage and was lucky that a couple of huge trees (including one with an eagle's nest) in the wooded preserve behind me did not fall my way. It was my first hurricane down here (moved basically the beginning of 2014).

After Hurricane Andrew about 25 years back, Florida revised its building codes. New houses are supposed to handle winds of 111mph and Miami-Dade and Broward counties have even stricter codes. So hopefully Irma won't hit anything on land in Florida in excess of a Category 3, otherwise there will be major damage. Right now, under the current forecast, the Naples area could be in trouble. Hopefully, it will push away from land a bit more. Before I moved to FL, I did research on hurricanes, sinkholes and tornadoes. Not that they absolutely can't occur where I am, it is just less of a chance than in some other areas.

It's crazy. A good percentage of gas stations have run out of gas at least once. Home improvement stores have run out of wood boards too. One of my neighbors left the other morning. The roads are really crowded with some areas under mandatory evacuation. He told me he couldn't even book the same hotel for more than one night (I think he went to SC). The other neighbor was going to leave at 3AM this morning and called me around 10AM and told me she talked to her daughter (who was going to drive them to GA) and made the decision to stay. No one really knows where it will hit. Places closer to the coast (either one) could be more at risk when a hurricane hits. I just look at it as there is no sense in getting into a state of panic. Some of the people who left may face crowded roads coming back as well as places that are out of gas or food. I'd feel differently if I had an older house not built to the current code.

My final trip to Florida after going back up north was on my birthday in February 2014. I was basically in Florida (almost all of my stuff was here) using my vacation time at work before I retired. I drove back to VA 3 days before I retired (for the second time), loaded my SUV with whatever would fit, threw the rest of the stuff out, signed the papers for the sale of my VA, which took place several days after that and started the drive down. I was expecting something to be delivered to my house two days later, otherwise I would have just stayed somewhere an extra day. It was the day of the horrid ice storm (I think about 11 people died in the Carolinas alone) and it was one horrible thing after another.

I got about 10 hours sleep over the three days I was in VA (got home back from FL very late Sunday night and went to work Monday and Tuesday). I went in the morning (Wednesday) of my birthday to sign one piece of paper and then I was going to hit the road a few minutes after 8AM and try to make it past the Carolinas before 1PM, give or take. First my admin person was an hour and 15 minutes late so I didn't leave work until about 9:30AM. It was probably about 10:15 AM when I got gas right before getting on Route 95 at Fredericksburg, VA. I got off at the first rest stop about a mile or so down the road to use the rest room and get a big can of Starbucks iced coffee to stay awake. Got outside (and it was cold) and when I went to start my 2.5 year old SUV, the battery was dead. So I had to call and wait for AARP roadside assistance, get off Route 95 at the next exit and get a new battery. Grabbed lunch and ate at Burger King at the entrance to 95 and by the time I got on the road it was almost 1PM. The drive as a nightmare. I stopped at South of the Border in SC to get gas and the gas pumps were frozen over, except for one and I couldn't even see how much the purchase was. I got back on 95 a couple of miles down the road and stopped at the first rest stop (I think it was after 8PM) and got a water and ate some cookies my friend's girlfriend had given me the night before. I crashed for about 45 minutes or so in the cold. Did that a few more times. I think a got to Savannah, GA at 3AM (and that was the first time the temperature was above freezing at 33 degrees), got more gas, ate at iHop and repeated stopping at rest stops and napping all the way day. There were so many people driving unsafely on ice down the way and then one would see them down the road where they obviously skidded off the road.I pulled into my garage in FL at 9:30 AM the next day. So a 24 hours trip. I basically passed out as soon as I hit my bed.

So I guess the moral is that I'm not going to go into panic mode and be as prepared as I can and if that isn't good enough, all I can say is I did my best. That drive was a nightmare. I don't want to be stuck on the road somewhere.

8. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm in NJ and completely away and unable to help any of my family or friends in need.

Some of my family from West Palm/Vero area went to Lakeland figuring that'd be safer, because I have some more family there. But watching the existing trackers, it looks like Lakeland might get slammed, too. Really worried about my 84 y/0 grandmother (luckily my Uncle lives right across the street, so that's good, but still wish they were in Atlanta or something.)

I know my Dad will not get any sleep tomorrow night watching the storm from NJ too, because his momand two brothers are all currently in Lakeland and he's going to be a nervous wreck. Nothing I can do from here (I don't think, except to give to Hurricane Relief) but I hate feeling so helpless.

Everyone down that area, be safe. I remember meeting Mike and Max at Mike's house quite a while ago. Man, that was before I got married, so it had to be sometime around 2002 or 2003 (Lacey, fiancee at the time, wife now, thought it was a bit "weird" that I was meeting "friends" that I didn't really know. She still talks about how Mike ordered a salad at the restaurant and asked the waitress to "surprise him" with the salad dressing.) Sorry, rambling, just worried about all my friends and family.

Be safe and good luck over the next few days!

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

And now Jose is Cat 4 and almost 5, and could be heading toward New Jersey...

10. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Thank God none seem to be coming my way, but it's not October yet. That's when they aim for coastal NC.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

We just got the remains of Harvey over the last few days, some decent rain (we've had an exceptionally dry summer).

I can't even imagine what these people are facing...

12. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Oui vey! Just got a GenTent and a transfer switch installed. After the chaos Sand left us with, I hope Jose punks out before he gets here.

13. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

That would be Sandy, not Sand! o_O Here's what Fanwood looked like the day after Sandy left us. I know it's nothing like Florida after Irma, or any other hurricane, but it was a shock for us northerners.

14. Phil A

I had damage from Sandy in Northern, VA. The rain was hard and caused some water damage (it even went around the ridge vent on top of the house and caused damaged on a sheetrock seam) and I had to have sheetrock replaced and fixed and caulking redone.

15. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

16. Denton

Crap! Everyone in our area has power except yours truly and 2 neighbors. I'm told a transformer is out. It blew out the main circuit breaker to the house, but I located the part and an electrician today and it is now ready. Local rooms are booked. We are tired, hot, and cranky.

Did I mention "crap!"?

17. Max Yokell

All the grids arou d us have been coming back on but ours. We have some people just south us who have homes under water. I think until the river crests and comes back down they can't turn our grid back on. Looks like river will crest Thursday and hopefully drain back out quickly.

Oddly Mike said he doesn't have power and is fairly close to a river. Doubt it would flood him but he might share a grid with some who are flooded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

18. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

We're STILL on the ship. Getting off in a few minutes though. Nearly 5 additional days so far.

We heard from the hotel where we left our car that it's OK and while we've not heard directly about our house, coworkers in the same area say the area is fine just no power as of yesterday.

I think our biggest challenge will be getting a cab out of port followed by finding fuel.

In our absence my mom arranged for the kids to head north during the storm. So once we get home and settled I've got to make the trip back to Indiana to retrieve them. I've got a few books loaded on my phone (Bossypants and Lets Explore Diabetes with Owls plus finishing The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck and Squirrel meets Chipmunk but I'll save that for when the older kids are in the car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Max Yokell

Sweet wonderful power oh how I missed you. Please don't ever leVe me again.

Chris Smith likes this.
  20. Denton

Power back. Possible return to work tomorrow. All I know from this experience is that one should not wear the same underwear for 4 days. Well, that and the determining factors for my life continuing are: 1) Effective air conditioning, and 2) A daily shower. :)