HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by RJ, Jan 4, 2017.

1. RJ

RJ Member

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I just purchased 5 2.0 HDMI cables when i bought my receiver, have two sources that can support 4k, but no new TV yet. I'm holding out still, and initially it was partially due to the atsc 3.0, but hdmi 2.1 possibly extended it. These new cables support 18gps, mainly future proofing for 4k. I'm all for progress, but i'm not an early adopter either.

3. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

It will be a while before I upgrade again. If 8k becomes the norm down the road, then maybe 4k projectors become cheap.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Cool. A ways down the pipe however...

5. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Yep, it sure seems that way with the need to support 48Gb/sec over a copper HDMI cable, on top of the fact that 4k itself is pretty far bring being mainstream in terms of content availability. Some of the info pointed towards console or computer gaming as the area where this may come into play sooner.

Fortunately I don't think this will factor into my current potential need to upgrade from an AVR with HDMI 1.3

6. RJ

RJ Member

Heres some more info:
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

May not be too far away from being everywhere. "The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

I does look to be solving a problem for VR and gaming, but the new ARC technology seems pretty nice. Having a smart TV app sending object based audio out via ARC sounds pretty nice for those who use built in apps.

4K 120hz sounds pretty intense as well

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

CJ...

8. RJ

RJ Member