1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 2 and Home Mini on order

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Jay Brown, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I pulled the trigger on the 5" 64 gig Pixel 2 and the Google Home mini to replace my Amazon Echo Dot.
    They will ship around the 21st of October.

I bought the phone unlocked to continue to use it with Straight Talk, but you can purchase it locked into Verizon's network as well.

My Nvidia Shield had an update last week which added Google Home to the interface. While everything works fine, the 2015 Controller does not have an "always on" listening feature, as is the case with the 2017 controller. So I have to use the controller constantly if I want to use Google Assistant along with the Shield. Since the Google Home Mini us being released, I could still be hands-free like the Echo Dot, but now with Google Services. Both the controller and Mini are priced about the same.

I don't have a dependency on Headphones and this phone does not come with a headphone jack. I never used it on any of my phones, so it's not a feature I will miss, but this to be a huge complaint, is a bit over-exaggerated IMO.

I will be using my LG G5 for Android Auto in my Car, as was the case with my Nexus 5.