Going Solar (goodbye SCE)

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ron-P, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

This is true. Monday was solid overcast;

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Rick C

Rick C Member

My panels were pretty dirty. I have seen a 17% improvement after the cleaning. Agreed that cloudy days make a huge difference but it is clear that cleaning the panels this week made a substantial change

Attached Files:

3. Mike B

Cool, good to know. My Company recommends cleaning too. When I walk the dog I see lots of panels on roofs that are literally white from collecting years of dust. This is a mixed residential / agricultural area with a lot of wind, so we get lotsa dust.

4. Mike B

Online for a whole month now starting 9-20-16. Since I started 2 days before the autumnal equinox, the results should be a pretty good average, well a little less as 90% of production was after the midpoint. The guys were pretty good at estimating production, no bullshit numbers were found;

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

The other day I noticed a solar panel on the roof of an older house near downtown. Given our cloudy and rainy weather I wonder what that use graphic looks like. Pouring down rain right now and for several day with more to come.

6. Mike B

It has a pretty severe affect on output. October 14 was a rainy day and caused an ~90% drop.

7. Rick C

Rick C Member

Very nice!

Your post had me go back and look at our SoCal Edison bill. We have been in California for 13 months but had only 12 full months on the solar with us in the house. Last 12 months 81 kWh net purchased from SoCal Edison. Works great.

Attached Files:

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Did any of you SCE peeps get that email to sign up to pay an additional 3.5 cents per kW to help SCE buy solar? Holy shit, who ever thought that up is gonna make SCE a ton. So many are gonna get sucked into yet another SCE scam. I so hate that company!!!

9. Mike B

First whole month of solar billing soon. No detail yet, just this little tidbit;

[​IMG]

Pretty cool eh?

Attached Files:

10. Mike B

Ok, first complete bill arrived and I really do have a credit balance of $7.06, no payment required - smiley.gif

But that is because of the "California Climate Credit" of $28.14.

Gas charges - $11.56
    Grid connect - 9.52
    CC credit -28.14

Balance -7.06

My NEM charges were $9.03 on a net usage of 122 KWh, but they estimate my net cost at "true up" to be 2 dollars due to partial credit on grid connect fee.

So if this continues I'll be paying a whole twenty five to fifty bucks a year for electricity! How cool is that? For the rest of my life - smiley.gif

Attached Files:

11. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Live long and prosper Mike! :2tu:

12. Mike B

Thanks! One can only hope eh?

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

One of the best things about free electricity... C9's! Bringing back the old school lights and no worries about a huge electricity bill in January.. Ordered up 6 sets today! Bring on the real Xmas lights, none of lose lame, dim-lit LED lights!

Attached Files:

• C9s.jpg
      C9s.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Mike B

I love LED's, they last forever. Shock resistant, light weight and do not get hot so you don't have to worry about cooking your flora.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I have LEDs throughout the house, mostly. I've also started adding in those Edison style incandescent bulbs now too. But when it comes to xmas lights, I can't do LED.

16. Mike B

I only have 2 incandescent bulbs in the whole house now, the only ones I can't change. The oven and the clothes dryer. They can take the heat.

All the rest are tube or compact florescent or LED.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

A light in the dryer? Why?

I'm a die-hard incandescent kinda guy, hate LCD. I only did it because of the cost savings. I love the soft, warm glow that LCD cannot duplicate. Now that I have solar I will eventually get all my lighting back to old school incandescent.

18. Mike B

Because there's a light in the dryer...I dunno, that's the way they built it. It's like the fridge, when you open the door the light turns on.

Oh, speaking of the fridge light, I replaced that 40 watt small filament appliance bulb with a 60 watt (eq that uses 6 watts) small LED. A lot brighter in the fridge and I don't add 38 watts of heat to a cooled space.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2016
  19. JoeM

JoeM Active Member

Actually, you can definitely get a warmer white glow with the right LEDs. With my kitchen remodel we put in some quality recessed LED light fixtures that were soft white in color with a high CRI rating which combined with a warmer color temp look about as good as incandescent. Aside from being a softer white they also produced much less glare than the cheaper lights you would see at your big box store. Maybe part of that improvement was in the design where the actual LED portion is recessed further into the fixture. I'd actually be ok with a slightly whiter light but your average visitor would have no clue that the lights are actually LED.

I think this is what we put in:
    http://www.noralighting.com/Product.aspx?&pid=13101

20. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Unless something has changed incandescent bulbs are being phased out in US and internationally.

http://energyblog.nationalgeographi...-continues-in-2014-with-40-60-watt-varieties/

The LEDs have a come a long way they are now nearly indistinguishable from the incandescent for color temperature. They are much brighter too. When I replaced all 60 watt PAR 30's in the kitchen with 13 watt LEDs I had to put in a dimmer to match the incandescent brightness. The dimmer is set at about one-quarter way down from maximum.