1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Garage Stereo

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Looking good Mike. BTW, if you are ordering any other parts you may want to have some of the 10 ohm, 1W resistors on hand. They actually act as a fuse to protect the tube in case of a short, like if you tube swap and unintentionally cause an open pin situation.

Don't ask me why I am aware of this... ;)

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

All chassis prep done, ready to prep the PC board for install.

33081680584_c3cde97077_o.jpg

I put the big tip on the Weller and cranked it to high and it handled the chassis ground lugs no problem. Which was cool - :)

jasn likes this.
  3. Mike B

Board in;

33598469980_f9c7719ae4_o.jpg

And inputs, bias read sockets and dummy switch installed;

33598470040_0e6f1afaae_o.jpg

On to the final assembly!

Someone should do a step-by-step part-by-part frame by frame time lapse video of a build. That would be cool - :)

4. Mike B

Wiring done;

34016844616_853efb9f0c_o.jpg

Ready for startup;

34016844236_bfe26d70ef_o.jpg

Startup went seamlessly. All tubes lit, no fuses blew and the bias set fine. Now driving a pair of 3 inch radio shack speakers connected to a walkman.

33214927244_2a70bcd533_o.jpg

Woo-Hoo - :)

jasn likes this.
  5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

That's like powering a Yugo with a Hemi. ;)

6. Mike B

Good thing I got that SS rectifier. After running for a half hour I shut it down and went to the store. When I powered up the rectifier flashed and all was dead.

So I put in the WZ 68 "copper top" and nothing. Yup, fuse blew too. New fuse, reset the bias and all is good again.

I'll let it burn in on the bench while I get the garage ready for it's new occupant - :)

7. jasn

Looks great Mike. My only thought is it is way, way too nice to be listening to, no less subjecting it to, the environment of a garage. Put it in your living room, sit down, and really hear what it can do first.

8. Mike B

You haven't looked at what's in my garage maybe?

I got some nice speaks in there and a good sub too.

I got tubes in the office, tubes in the bedroom and now tubes in the garage. However I thought I might hook it up in the bedroom to the Tang Bands and see.

9. jasn

Deal. :)

10. Mike B

I know it's not going to be as good as the 2A3 Stereomour even as I write this. I went thru the 8LS, the Dared, and the elekit.

The ST120 has the punch needed for the garage and the sound there is good.

I'll hook it up to the TB's and rock it, but that's not what the bedroom is about. The bedroom is all about sounding good at milliwatts.

Have you blown any rectifier tubes? Mine lasted 3 turn-ons, less than an hour.

11. jasn

I have not Mike. Not sure where to point you either, other than to post a question on the forum or email Latino directly.

12. Mike B

I have seen those threads and he always recommends the Weber GZ68. Here it is installed;

34034056666_3fb4aca1a6_o.jpg

No more problems. Project went very well, other than the tube/fuse thing all went smooth. No hiss, no hum. Sounding better (smoother) as it gets time.

I do have a "high line" condition here. House is the first one to the pole pig and line here is 124 to 126.

jasn likes this.
  13. Mike B

Cover on, "garage proofed"

34141884565_44a2c84f2f_o.jpg

Now re-working speaks. Beta 10 with Selenium D220Ti;

34141885015_531df9e191_o.jpg

With plywood spacer and o ring so tweeter does not hit hard stop in woofer;

33756878700_66825ec017_o.jpg

Also drilled out mounting holes and installed hurricane nuts. Driver has been in and out so much the wood is worn, time for machine screws!

14. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Why the spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mike B

Those Selenium tweeters have a longer threaded "nose" than the Eminence ones do and it bottoms on the hard stop in the woofer before the body stops on the woofer magnet.

16. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Any timeing issue moving it forward or back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Mike B

I don't know.

18. Mike B

Both speaks modded with new XO's, hurricane nuts and machine screws, new Selenium tweeters and the LPads are going in right between those vent pipes. I put one tweeter in phase and the other one out. Listening will reveal which one gets switched. The XO's already have the tweeter polarity reversed, T+ is connected to common.

33340194164_67d6276293_o.jpg

19. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Two Ports? My HE10.1 has just one port.
    Looking forward to your impressions.

20. Mike B

It's out there and I've been running it for 2 days. It's very good. Best ever me thinks. Smooth and clear, sweet! The new tweets sound a lot better, I can stand right in front of them and not wince. The Eminence hook up instructions on the XO's are correct which have the tweeter + to XO common. The pads are needed and the sound is "balanced" with a 3 to 4 dB cut with the pads. Pads also add a little damping to the tweets which probably is another reason they sound so good.

34182912266_8e247b06bc_o.jpg

Bass was off as I didn't have the subwoofer in the first day, the active XO was routing lows and I took the whole rack down. Connected the sub to the head unit and set XO to 63 Hz, beauty!

Need to finish up, I'm moving the exciter to the bottom where the amp is now so as not to cook it with tube heat. The amp warms the top shelf nicely. So Bellari on the bottom and amp on a sliding shelf right above. I'll be able to pull it out to remove the cover and set bias.

It doesn't get as loud as it did with 1 KW of drive, but it still gets plenty loud and the sound is better. Gonna get better still when that exciter goes in.

Hey Carl, yeah 2 ports. The box is Eminence spec "extended bass shelf" version which I see is not in their published box designs anymore. Anyway it's around 3 cu-ft with (2) 3 inch vents about 7 inches long.