1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

FRS Walkie talkies for summer camp

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Heading out to my second Boy Scout summer cam as a leader. Last year I learned that cell coverage generally sucks at these camps and was loaned a walkie but this year I have learned much from my first venture into Boy Scout camp and am going prepared with some stuff I did not have last year.

One of those things is going to be an FRS walkie talkie. I have started looking and restores I have decided I would like are waterproof, rechargeable, and a charging station. I did some searches on Best Buy as I have a bunch of reward certificates and a gift card so it will be zero out of pocket.

Choices seem t come down to Cobra, Motorola, and Uniden. They all list a 35-37 mile range so nothing really different there, I only need a 5 mile range at most. The uniden is listed as FRS/GMRS it sure what the extra band gets me.

I guess real question is which brand is most likely to work problem free for years to come.

2. jhoak

jhoak Active Member War Zone Member

I have a pair of Cobra FRS radios. Had them for 3 maybe 4 years. Earlier this year I dug them out of the drawer after more than a year of not being used. Charged them up and they still worked great.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ended up with a pair of Uniden. I was able to use a Best Buy gift card and $65 in Best Buy reward certificates and it came to $11 at check out. Leave a week from Friday for Boy Scout summer camp.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Looks like you already decided but I was going to post that you'd be fine with any of those brands based on my limited experience. Let us know how they work.