Frivolous Ahem

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by DYohn, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Our Xmas presents to ourselves arrived today, a pair of Ember ceramic mugs.

The packaging looks like it was designed by the same team who design for Apple; it is obvious that their target consumer for these $80 mugs is the Apple douchebag crowd, like me. :)

IMG_0778.jpg IMG_0779.jpg

The mug is nestled into velvet-flocked plastic inside a very tightly fitted box. Just like an Apple iPhone box, it is difficult to open without breaking fingernails. It's the sort of unnecessary over-the-top packaging that only gadget lovers and Apple fan-boys could love. Unpacked and set up on it's plugged-in charging base/coaster (which is labeled "do not allow liquid to gather in the coaster" interestingly) and it's charging. Note that the base must be plugged into AC power, it is not USB powered like I thought it might be:

IMG_0781.jpg

Again because this is designed for modern tech gadget freaks you must download an app to your phone or tablet, then pair the cup via Bluetooth to your device. In the app you customize the LED color on the mug and set your desired temperature. There is no way to set or monitor temperature outside the app:

Image-1.jpg

Now I will see both how accurate it is using my hand-held thermometer, and how long it lasts (and if it cooks the coffee too much altering the taste.)

Fun times. :)

-edit- Thank you CJ for fixing the orientation on the iPhone shots

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

App says 136F, hand-held digital thermometer says 135.4 F. Pretty good. :)

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

So, forgive a luddite, but what the actual f*** is it, a self-heating cup, wall-powered, but app-controlled? Not even USB? What if you don't have an outlet, only your Macbook? What is the world coming to?

DYohn likes this.
  4. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

You only need the base to charge the mug. I plan to test battery life, so if you are away from your wall outlet you can know how long your coffee will survive. :)

Interestingly, after an hour in the mug the coffee was still 135F and it stayed that temp right down to the last sip. That was cool - no cold last sip.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Does the mug cool it to the 135 faster than it would cool in a normal mug? Ie does the mug use the same state change stuff the travel mug uses that is supposed to cool the drink from 200 to drinking temp quickly and then use that heat to help maintain it at 135 longer?

Barry_NJ likes this.
  6. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

David, you sold me with the “Apple douchbag” comment!! I just ordered one.

DYohn likes this.
  7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

This amounts to: how will I keep my coffee warm without wi-fi. Indeed, what is the world coming to. o_O

8. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I haven't tried that yet, but since it uses Peltier devices it should.

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Cool! I'm all for frivolity if you have the means.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Dustin B

Is the battery user replaceable?

11. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

FYI, this morning the coffee came out of my brewer at 165F. Into the Ember cup, and it cooled the cup to 136 in about 4 minutes.

No idea. You can check on their web site... Ember: The World’s First Temperature Control Mug

12. Dustin B

Didn't look really hard but couldn't find anything on their site yesterday to indicate if the ceramic mug has the state change material like the travel mug or if either have user replaceable batteries. Will have to email them.

13. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

All I know about it is: it works and both I and my wife are in love with them. Not having to dump a cold cup of coffee is fantastic.

14. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You let your coffee get cold?

Looks cool.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

:) Not any more.

16. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I guess this is a great device if you REALLY want to keep that cup o' joe just right. CJ is getting one for XMAS.

DYohn likes this.
  17. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

A less frivolous alternative, as long as you don't mind drinking out of a travel mug all the time -

Prolong Travel Mug

18. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I just read up on that Soy Based Phase Change Material for
    Buildings and construction. Fascinating.

19. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Just so I don't sound like I'm against David having fun with his mug: I'm currently having trouble connecting my garage door opener to wi-fi. Yup.

20. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

somehow when I read that (quickly) I got Can Opener to the wifi