First night with new headphones (Sennheiser 6xx)

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Chris Smith, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Last night my wife's Christmas present to me came in (aka I saw them, ordered them, and told her not get get me anything else for the holidays.) So thought I'd post a little mini review of my new Sennheiser 6xx headphones. These are a MassDrop exclusive rebranding of the 650s.

Opening them up and size wise they're identical to my 580s. Same style band, same style earcups, etc. Very familiar to me since I'm used to 580s.

The 6xx come with a short cord that is terminated in a 3.5mm plug. A 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter is included.

My source is a Denon 300f turntable using the built in preamp into a Little Dot MKII tube amplifier. I have never used my 580s with this setup (they're my work headphone) so my only experience with this setup and headphones is a pair of cheap Senn 201s

Music I tried:
    I tried to listen to a variety of music last night, mostly stuff I really like and know well. Due to my personal musical tastes, there's a possibility that these headphones might be a bit overkill. I listened to side 1 of the following albums:

Weezer - Pinkerton. 90s era Rock at the beginning of the loudness wars. Rivers Cuomo sounded great, the bass lines were very tight and the drums sounded excellent. I noticed much less noise than I did with the 201s, which was interesting to me.

Halsey - Badlands. I wanted to try some female vocals and I don't really have many to choose from (which I need to fix.) But this sounded great! There's much more electronic style drum beats on this and they were very tight and not boomy and the vocals came through very nice.

NOFX - First Ditch effort - so this is what I'm talking about. This being their newest album I've listened to it several times recently. Fat Mike sounds as good as Fat Mike can, the "Fat Wreck Chord" drum sound is in all it's glory on this one, too. Really loved the way the kick drum sounded. On a couple of the joke-y interludes between band members I swear I could "hear" smiling that I missed on previous listens.

Steely Dan - Aja - had to put one on here that has some real dynamic range. Aja is one of my Dad's favorite albums and I've heard it countless times (and like it just fine.) This really sounded amazing. Very warm, not fatiguing at all. This is a great sounding album and this is the best I've heard it.

Anyway that's what I got to on my first night. They're not broken in, I'll be curious to see if and what changes as they break in, but overall I'm happy!

Pros:
    Great sound, warm and not fatiguing
    Price - $200 on MassDrop when they're offering the deal (which they are right now)
    Open Back design - I prefer an open back as my ears swear with a closed headphone, but that might not be for everyone
    I "feel" that they're better sounding than my 580s that I paid more than $200 15 years ago but did not A/B it.

Cons:

MassDrops 6xx has a different cord than normal 650s. It terminates in a 3.5 which I don't love and it's WAY too short. Luckily I have my 580s at work where I always thought the cord was too long, so I'm going to swap them. But you can also get replacement cords at all different price points if you're interested

Clamping Force - I forgot just HOW HARD these things clamp on your head new. It's my only REAL complaint about them. I have a huge head, and they press down with a ton of force. But I also remember, now that I'm feeling it again, that the 580s were the same way originally. But with use they loosen up and now I wear them 8 hours a day and don't notice them. I guess I'll just have wear these a lot to break the band in as well!

I'm also looking forward to, sometime in the future, trying some different tubes in my headphone amplifier just to see what the changes might be introduced!

2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

You've encountered the "Aja" affect I see. This has been my "goto" album whether or not I'm using headphones or not. Enjoy the sounds!!

3. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

What kind of work do you do that requires "work" headphones? You might be in a situation where you could buy what ever you want and wright it off your taxes.

4. Chris Smith

No write off for me. I’m a programmer so I sit in front of my computer all day.

I used to share an office and it bugged me to hear anyone else, now I have my own and I still wear them all day every day as a sort of isolation from the outside (I work in the dark, too, I’m weird) Pretty much only listen to podcasts on them anymore.

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My HD600's needed some break in time. Just leave em' on all the time even when you're not listening.

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I need to find a better pair of "buds", I work during the day on a call center floor, like you Chris in front of a computer and the noise around me is atrocious.

I use buds because the "powers that be" don't like me using cans.

7. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

There are great sounding ear buds. IEM(inner ear monitors) are better still. Just go to Head Fi forum on the web and check out the IEM or portable forum.

8. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

FWIW, I really, really like my Shure 535SE IEMs.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Jason if you're wearing buds do you take calls on them or are they just to block out the surrounding noise? I've tried IEM before and they're fantastic...until someone walks up to you and asks a question and you need to take them out and then fight to insert them again. You may find them easier to use than I did but I quickly ended that experiment at work.

10. Chris Smith

I was a big fan of Etymotics ER6s IEM, but they discontinued them. I never liked the newer ones such as the MC5 quite as much.