1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Discussing politics at work

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Jun 10, 2017.

1. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

A few years ago, my wife and I went to the holiday event for my company. I met a co-workers wife for the first time who is highly intelligent, graduate of Yale law school and is a partner at a law firm. The second sentience out of her mouth was, so who are you going to vote for? Wait, I have not had a glass of wine yet and this person is grilling me on my political views? WTF. I answered Trump ands began to tear into me about how republicans suck and are ruining this country and Hilary should win easily. My only reply was I'm a registered independent and walked away.

Each time there is an article about the clintons, I cut it out and send it home with my co-worker with a little note...See! We always have a laugh because my co-worker says she does it to everybody and he gets embarrassed about it. He graduated from Wharton so I call him a closet republican. We always have a laugh and walk away as friends.

2. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

This discussion got me thinking why we do not have a viable third party and our current hyper partisanship.

No third party today IMO started with President Truman's Executive Order 9835 of March 21, 1947, which required that all federal civil service employees be screened for "loyalty." which was taken to the extreme and bastardized by Joe McCarthy and his Red Scare. That sealed off rise of any other political discourse and thus a third political party.

Current hyper partisanship IMO started with Bush Vs Gore and the Supreme Court decision resulting the D's essentially labeling and treating Bush as illegitimate POTUS. Fast forward to Obama election and Mitch McConnell's statement "Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President".

Of course the rise of the hyper partisan cable channels, radio stations resulting in social media echo chambers have all contributed to the sad state of affairs today.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Perhaps the USA would be better off with a Parliament... And yes, I mean in all senses of that word. A more participatory form of government with a Prime Minister rather than a President, a tasty cigarette with a recessed tip, and a funky soundtrack to tear the roof off the sucker.

4. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but then we will need some one above the Prime Minister to temporarily manage in case the PM and cabinet loses confidence of the parliament or between election cycles. Like the Queen in England or an appointed apolitical but highly respected person (constitutional scholar) as President whose appointment exceeds several election cycles.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  5. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

That would be David, of course.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Oh hell no. I want nothing to do with politics, except as a participating citizen.

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I'll do it, I'll volunteer my services as Lord Buckethead.

8. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

My coworker is in the "Trump can do no wrong" camp and when things come up, it's "fake news"

I feel differently and don't discuss the subject very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk