1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Discussing politics at work

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Jun 10, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Especially since America has gotten hyper-partisan politicized, I try very hard to avoid political discussions at work. Same rule concerning religion or how much esoteric interconnects make a difference in audio. I steer clear whenever possible. Yesterday I was in our Chandler AZ office and was discussing a completely non-political financial topic with a colleague, when he said, "I knew what you were going to say before you said it. Nothing like two Republicans discussing money, eh?" I replied, "Except I'm not a Republican," thus breaking my own rule against discussing politics. "Huh?" he said, genuinely surprised. "But we always agree on whatever we discuss and I am a very conservative Republican! How can that be?" I smiled. "Maybe you need to think past labels." I'm not sure he understood my point.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I get that this is your whole point but it seem sort of stupid to assume mutual political affiliation/identification just because you frequently agree...

DYohn likes this.
  3. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Exactly. In his mind people must agree about everything in order to agree about anything, which demonstrates the partisan problem. Ideological "purity" leads to the Taliban.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I rarely discuss stuff like politics. You're so right that people stick labels on it. A couple of guys who have been friends for 20 years in the Space Coast Audio Society haven't been talking in a few months due to politics. Besides labels, I'm always amazed by people in telling me how one side is totally good and the other totally crap. I'm at the point in life where I just try to get stuff done, help people where possible and enjoy things.

I will sometimes goof on some of those people (the ones who know me a bit) in fun. Fighting about things is not going to change the minds of most of the people and it will just cause more friction.

DYohn likes this.
  5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Even worse, people don't identify with a party because of their ideas, they identify with a party and then blindly adopt the ideas from that party and fight to the death over them. Total insanity and exactly how the parties want us to behave.

capsuleri and DYohn like this.
  6. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I've found that one way to make these kinds of discussions actually entertaining to read is to mentally replace 'parties' with 'panties'.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

amusing switcheroo

8. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

I have had boisterous political debates on completely opposing views with European and Indian colleagues without that turning into a fight and still walking away as friends..

DYohn likes this.
  9. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Most people are not thoughtful enough, nor intelligent enough (call me elitist) to think beyond this level. As long as they have identified the tribe with which they affiliate, they're done.

DYohn and capsuleri like this.
  10. capsuleri

Not only that party loyalties run through generations in the family. I have not yet met a husband and wife who are D and R. I think our current hyper partisanship is greatly responsible for that also that we have only two viable parties.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

My new neighborhood seems to have a lot of European imports. I was actually discussing with my wife the other day that I really want to meet more of them, partly for the reasons implied by your experience. Most people here in good ol' Texas...it's tough, we just tend not to share the same values, and it's nigh impossible to have an intelligent debate.

12. capsuleri

I had those debates in Europe over drinks. You may find the Europeans here hesitant to be open unless they know you extremely well.

13. claud

claud Well-Known Member

Good way to lose friends. Have a political or religious discussion. I refuse to do it. This pisses off some of my friends, but they are still my friends. Lots of people want to have political discussions since the last election. They all have been Democrats for me

14. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

That's so true. It's a shame that Ross Perot's presidential run didn't spark up a third one. It there was a third party that could hold 15-20% of Congress it could go a long way to helping our current stalemates and partisan favors.

15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

There's gonna be a giant suckin' sound...

16. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

My employer has made it clear that we should avoid such discussions. It doesn't seem to accomplish much anyway, especially with possible connections to topics where some believe there are moral issues that I don't see the same way.

How about them Cubbies, eh?

17. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Professionals, including health care professionals, are often assumed to belong to a particular party,world concept, and religion. Those assumptions can not only be wrong, they can lead to some very embarrassing "reveals" and public disagreements. So....

How about them Cubbies,eh?

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

The Cubs suck. ;)

19. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

how about those Giants:rolleyes:

DYohn likes this.
  20. capsuleri

Red Sox all the way!!:D