Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by John F, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I made some changes to our TV packages over the last few months gradually weening the kids off the family channel and now with this seasons TV shows almost up I'm about ready to pull the plug completely. I can get 7 TV stations in HD from an antenna mounted in the attic so I'll run that into a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun device and then use Plex DVR to record the few shows we still watch from TV. The rest of TV shows are all on Netflix or my friends Plex servers so TV won't be an issue.

I watch hockey through the Game Centre app and the playoffs are on CBC so that's not so bad but I may end up subscribing to an app for like SportsNet Now to get some other sports content if I can't find a reliable solution.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Andrew what type of Antenna do you have?

I did try the Plex DVR Service, ran into problems with the ability to use it with my NAS Server. I have Plex Pass, but this feature simply will not appear within the Freenas Plugin. I had to use a laptop with the service installed, and while it worked fine, it was a pain to manage two different servers, plus the laptop was needed for other purposes.

Now with the Nvidia Shield DVR service, I use this for recording my TV Shows. Pause, rewind, and a limited PIP feature are now available on the Shield and it's been stable with no missed recordings thus far.

3. Andrew Pratt

I built a Stealth Hawk using a couple of hanger wires as a DIY project but when i went to put it in the attic I found an old style roof top antenna already up there so I'm using that. Both actually give me the same signal as our towers aren't that far away and I likely could have used a simple antenna but where's the fun in that :)

My Plex server runs on a Mac Mini so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

I wasn't aware that the Shield could record TV OTA....that's very interesting. I'm assuming it uses the same Silicon Dust HD Homerun device to access the OTA data?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. Jay Brown

That is correct, the Shield uses an HD HomeRun network tuner for live TV and DVR services. Google has their own Live TV app for Android TV and while it is dependent on Silicon Dust's development, this app's stability has improved since 2015. Last year when I purchased a Ticket Bolt, it was because the Live TV app on the Shield was so unstable and sensitive to weak signals. That is no longer the case.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

5. Andrew Pratt

Good to know I'll have options then if the Plex DVR doesn't work as expected. I think I'll be using a Roku 2/3 as the Plex, Netflix and NHL device on the 'kids' TV and leave my AppleTV 4 in the theatre.

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Has anyone tried into YouTubeTV yet? $35/mo for 'standard' streaming broadcast and cable networks? Limited areas right now and I'm not in one of the listed service areas or I'd give it a try.

Link

7. Jay Brown

Youtube TV is limited to only 4 markets I believe. From what I have read, they are limited in channels as of right now, but on the right track.

8. Andrew Pratt

A bit of an update.

I got the HD home run installed and was able to pull in the 7 local channels without issue. Only 4 are worth watching though but they're enough to pick up the mainstream prime time TV shows for the Plex DVR. Plex DVR has been recording shows OTA for a week now and seems to do exactly what you'd expect. Each file is around 8 GB and in a .ts file format. I've got the ComSkip script running to post process the TV shows to strip out commercials so that part is seemless.

Despite still having cable I've been forcing myself not to use it to watch NHL games and TV and so far it's been fine. I did pick up an Android TV box (MX Q Pro) for the theater room for Kodi and its what I expected...utter crap. The UI/UX on Android continues to baffle me that it remains as popular as it is...it is clearly a touch centric OS jammed into a menu / remote driven device. I don't see it getting much use but it does open possibilities. Honestly I bought it for me to play with (same with the Roku 3).

9. Jay Brown

Be careful in choosing a Kodi Box vs and Android TV box. There are only a few devices including some TVs that are actually running Android TV. What you have is running a Phone/Tablet variant of Android, not Android TV, two different things.

The Nvidia Shield, Xiami Mi Box, current Sony TVs, current Sharp TVs, and the Nexus Player, all run Android TV, not just Android. Think of it as Apple TV, for example.

Android TV

10. Andrew Pratt

Fair point.

11. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Been very happy with Directv Now. Cancelled Directv. Of course I am grandfathered into the $35 Go Big price. Just need CBS, DVR and a few extra streams and it will be perfect.

Still looking forward to Hulu but not sure they will match the PQ of Directv Now and I still get Audience channel from Directv.

12. I'm also on DirecTV NOW, and happy with it. Well, to be more specific, I'm happy with the price and the ability to login to the provider apps. I've been emailing ESPN for years now (cut the cord in '11) that I would happily pay them $20/month for nothing more than a legal login for their streaming app. Perhaps if they had considered that and opened it up, they wouldn't have had to lay off 100 people yesterday. This is close enough to that value, and it has more content to boot.

The DirecTV NOW interface is fine, I don't have the problems with it that have been reported, but it's just okay. However, I've come to really like the AppleTV "TV" app, which acts much like a DVR with Hulu, provider apps you're logged into plus the iTunes store. I only watch sports, news and Wheel of Fortune live, so this is a great solution, and a beautiful, simple interface.

I use a TiVo Bolt & Mini for OTA channels, I'm able to pick up around 30 channels on that, but I've found myself using the TV app for more and more primetime network shows lately, just because it's easier.

13. Andrew Pratt

I'm quite enjoying the HD HomeRun unit. There are apps for most devices so I can now watch TV on my AppleTV or computers etc. Plex takes care of recording shows which is how we watch most of them but it is handy to be able to watch the news or hockey on the kitchen computer for example

14. Jay Brown

Now the Plex DVR Beta shows up on my Freenas Server....smh

15. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

16. Andrew Pratt

So I've finally cut the cord and now will just have both the TV room and Theater using AppleTV4's using NHL Game Centre, Plex and Netflix app's for content.

17. RJ

RJ Member

Doesn't DirectTV Now also only stream in 2.0 stereo? That's all I get at least.

18. Jay Brown

All Live TV streaming services have only two-channel audio.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

19. I honestly don't know, though from what I've read, it depends on what device you're using. I only open the DTVNOW app for live games, and for those I don't care enough to take the time and check.

For other content I utilize the provider app logins you get with DTVNOW. Many of the providers stream 5.1 out of their apps. Using those logins and the TV app on the new AppleTV, it's really like a streaming DVR. It works very slick and good quality.