1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by John F, Mar 23, 2016.

1. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I switched my landline phone number to my cell number (and canceled my landline service). Very easy, just a call to verizon. I think the bluetooth handsets are going to work well, although audio quality isn't as good as the landline.

I'm on verizon, iphone 4s. The iphone 4s is only 3G. Will switching to a new iphone se and 4g get me better audio quality?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

Getting a new phone should definitely give you better call quality. I don't know the specifics of the SE but it's internals are much improved from the 4s.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I ditched my landline and cable over two years ago. All I do is Internet for wifi and cell phones. I also ditched Verizon, (now Frontier) at their $99 a month for 50megs to TWC, same 50 at half the cost, $49. Did that about 4 months ago and love TWC, not a single issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Member

Very good info

5. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Last week I dumped Sling TV for PlayStation Vue. PS Vue now works on Android TV. I had planned on ordering one of the newer Roku boxes because the first gen Stick I own is ridiculously slow. I'm paying an extra $10 a month but it is so well worth it now. There's a sort of DVR service, more channels, and the extra $10 translates to not having to pay for some shows I would order through either Amazon Prime or Google Play.

Because I watch my locals via OTA antenna, I do run the risk of interference, which was the case Saturday evening while watching the World Series. Like days of old, when someone is running a vacuum cleaner or something to cause interference, my live channels tend to crap out. With the Fox Sports Go app, I was able to continue watching the World Series which broadcasted the local Savannah Fox Affiliate. This also applies to Watch Espn, for I noticed the local affiliate broadcasts were also available on that app as well.

Sent using LG G5

6. Brian Bunge

Jay, now that you've had PS Vue for several weeks how do you like it? I see it's coming to the Apple TV as well and may check it out, assuming you can use it without actually having a PlayStation as well.

7. Jay Brown

Not having a PlayStation was my reasoning for not switching to PSVue but now you can sign up with a Roku.

I simply installed the stick into my receiver, then set up an account. The interface was great but the performance of the Roku Stick was just awful, really slow. Luckily the PSVue service was released for Android TV, and it was a Night and Day difference regarding performance on my Nvidia Shield.

I'm paying an extra $10 compared to Sling TV, which is called the Core Slim Package ($34.99). No extra add-on channels like Showtime or Epix.

They recently removed all Viacom channels and added BBC and one or two other stations. The Viacom purge caused a huge stink for many users but it wasn't a big deal for me.

Interface is a preference, I actually liked Sling TVs interface better but I'm used to the PSVue. The DVR service is simply a means of saving your favorite programs for 30 Days I believe.

PS Vue was recently released for the Apple TV so this could be a big deal for many looking to cut the cord.

Although the price for convenience is beginning to hover around basic Cable service, just keep an eye out for other services such as Direct TV's new one coming soon. The prices I believe will increase as networks begin to promote their own services and ask for more money as cord-cutting becomes more relevant.

Sent using LG G5

8. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Now that Directv Now has added FOX networks and associated RSN's for the suggested price of $35 a month I am seriously considering cancelling my main Directv satellite service. If a three month commitment does in fact come with a free Apple TV 4, why not give it a try. If CBS fails to sign, I can still get my broadcast networks through cable coax since I have internet supplied by the cable company. That could be a huge savings.

My main concern is obviously going to be picture quality and necessary bandwidth for streaming to multiple TV's. I'd probably need a stronger router to reach certain areas of my home.

Going solar and cutting the "cord". What is wrong with me?

9. Brian Bunge

Did DirecTV Now officially launch already? I never heard what channels were included with it.

10. Steve Wright

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016
  11. Steve Wright

Well, Directv Now launches tomorrow. I am definitely in for the Go Big package at the initial discount of $35 a month and will also pre-pay for the "free" Apple TV. The best scenario for me would be to have more cable channels launch apps with Live Streaming. I may just get rid of some rarely used receivers and replace with a few Apple TV's.

Only limitation I really have right now are only two simultaneous streams, limited RSN's and no Sunday Ticket.

Good comparison of channels here:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-channels-compared/

12. Steve Wright

Ok, jumped on the bandwagon for Directv Now this morning. For a free Apple TV (ok reduced price) this was a no brainer. What is surprising is how much I am enjoying the service. I still have to test PQ at home but if it stands up to Sat it will be a hard decision as to what to do.

Shortcomings:

No CBS
    Not all RSN's are present.
    Only two concurrent streams.
    No DVR

My plan is to slowly wean myself off Sat. I will ditch at least two sat receivers, probably three, and move to Directv Now. That will save me $21 a month right there. If I ditch HBO, will get back another $17 a month. I am now ahead of my current price by $3. I have not decided what to do with 4k. Most likely, I will lower my current package and get away from D* 4k. There is not enough content to warrant the extra expense. Saves me at least another $15 a month.

This gets me in a pretty good place. I can get 4k from onboard YouTube, Vudu, Netflix and disc. Then wait until Directv Now matures to the point where I can totally jettison Sat. It also allows me to pick up HBO for $5 a month. Directv Now currently allows access to HBO Go..a bonus.

I must be getting old. I'm looking at saving money instead of needlessly spending it. ;)

13. Brian Bunge

So is that $35 discount forever? Or just a short term promo thing?

14. Steve Wright

It's just a short term promo, however if you sign up during the promo you keep that rate as long as you don't cancel otherwise that package is $60.

15. Brian Bunge

So $35/mo and if you sign up for 3 months you get an Apple TV?

16. Steve Wright

Yep

17. Steve Wright

Been a bumpy few hours but what I have seen I am liking very much. I've done the math and it was quite eye opening.

First, I looked at my Directv bill for the month. With Sunday ticket this months bill was $233!!!! Whaaaaat?!!!! Totally insane. I did a break down and just by eliminating Sunday Ticket and HBO I would save $80 a month. Still a pretty high bill. I had the Ultimate package which was still $90 flat. Going down one package eliminated another $10 but I had to give up 4k. No biggie. Not a lot of content anyway. So starting out at a base of $80 I still have $28 of receiver leases, a $10 HD fee, $10 DVR fee, $3 Whole home DVR fee and HD Extra pack for $5. So just about $55 of BS fees on top of the original package fee...

Directv Now fees. $35 with 100 channels, and FOX, NBC and ABC included. Although just found out NBC cannot be streamed on Apple TV. That is for two concurrent streams.
    Sign up second account under wife's name. Another $35 a month. Same channels. Pay for CBS at $6 and maybe add HBO for $5.

Grand total $81 a month flat. Let's see what happens with NBC but perhaps I can live without it after Football season. I really don't watch a lot of network TV.

18. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

An update...

I'm going with Playstation Vue. It has 2 local channels: NBC and CBS, and that will be fine. I'm using it with an Amazon Firestick and a PS3. My internet connection is ~30Mb. One down side is that surfing channels is slow: getting to the guide is slow, scrolling the guide is slow, .... The PS3 is quicker, but they are both slow. I'm impressed with all the features, DVR, favorites, ... although it was a little confusing starting; they really seem to stress "shows" over live TV. I also have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I may also use individual network apps to get some shows (for example, I tried the CW app to get Supernatural). And it looks like I'm going back to 2 remotes, as the Fire Stick isn't IR and doesn't work with my Harmony. Picture quality seems fine, it looks like HD to me, although not the best HD.

I tried Directv Now, but there were no locals. They did seem to have more channels.

I cancelled Directv (satellite) yesterday. :)

I was originally planning to put up an antenna, but since I'm getting CBS (local) through Vue, I'm going to put this off indefinitely.

I may get another streaming box (Fire TV) to replace the PS3, depends on how much I use apps to get shows. I've never looked at Apple TV; is there a way to stream from IOS to an Apple TV? I'm thinking I could run Vue on my iPhone and stream it to Apple TV? I'm also looking at trying AirPlay to the Firestick, anyone have experience with this?

I did get an iPhone SE, and the phone call quality is very good. We use the bluetooth handsets very little.

19. RJ

RJ Member

When I tried PS Vue, it only had 2 channel audio. Is that still the case?

20. Jay Brown

None of the streaming services such as PS Vue, Sling TV, or Direct TV Now will give you 5.1.

Sent using LG G5