Cooking thread

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Are you walking up Pike's Peak? Don't want to derail the food thread but I was inspired to do the same while there, and I have no idea what it takes to make that achievable and safe.

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

yes.
    Patience.
    good Cardio condition. Good legs & Knees
    spend a couple of days becoming partly acclimated.
    it's humbling to be at 12,ooo feet huffing and puffing
    while locals pass you up. Looking into S-America this Fall
    Manchu Pichu and Aconcagua (Argentinian).

CJ likes this.
  3. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I went to Home Depot yesterday for some manly shopping :)rolleyes:), and they had a Lodge 12" frying pan for $19.99. Great price for a cookware essential, the only one I don't have.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

3684E4E6-8771-4B71-A7AA-6474E9C3224C.jpeg OMG soooo good.

nolan and DYohn like this.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

36985531464_023348ca86_o.jpg

nolan, DYohn and CJ like this.
  6. Mike B

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

6C8271C9-22F6-4962-B67E-7464FAF36943.jpeg 9EA00929-9698-4DD9-99F4-82F2EA3B2619.jpeg D10DDBFE-B800-43A2-8F95-BC5984BB33F8.jpeg

nolan and DYohn like this.
  8. Carl V

looks good...what's it called?

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Its just smoked pulled pork chili. I normally make my chili with a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork sausage but I needed to whip something up for a food day at work and I still had like 6 lbs of pulled pork in the deep freeze. It was good and got demolished at work.

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

We are not having turkey tomorrow, but I have two nice chickens in a bourbon-brown sugar and apple brine for smoking, I just made cranberry sauce using brown sugar, fresh cranberries, orange juice, cognac and a pinch of powdered cloves, and I made skillet cornbread to break up for making dressing. We don't celebrate "thanksgiving" but we do like to feast. Have a happy holiday!

11. Carl V

Sounds good....any adult libations on the menu? Chablis? Scotch?
    Ah, I see you won't be following in the footsteps of Massasoit, leader
    of the Wampanoag tribe. Fall Feasting sounds good.

12. DYohn

Oh yes. Diane likes Riesling with chicken and it's so sweet and light we always finish off two chilled bottles, and then later I have a new bottle of Japanese Nikka Pure Malt Black to open. I picked up a pecan pie (my all-time favorite) at the bakery... with bad-for-you canned whipped cream of course. :)

You?

13. Carl V

14. Carl V

Going to friends. Vegan. Pescatarians vegetarians. It’s sorta a United Nations cross section. I will be the minority... tgevtoken white straight male... nuff said. :p

DYohn likes this.
  15. Carl V

61AF29C5-1CA2-47DD-89E6-12203DB6A378.jpeg Semi dry German Wine. Dry minerslly french. Spicy scotch. Here’s some of the libations I am bringing.

16. DYohn

Ooo I don't know that Glenmorangie. Madeira casks eh? Sounds great!

17. Mike B

Huevos Verdes;

24717364678_2a38eee367_o.jpg

This is so easy and so good. The groster now sells cooked carnitas in a 15 oz refrigerated pack and also jars of some really good chili verde sauce. So just pry off about a quarter (for 2 eggs) toss in a pot with half a jar of sauce, heat to simmer and fry the tortillas and then the eggs and top with the chili verde.

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

19 pounder going on the smoker. Roasting it though, just using it as a wood fired oven.

I'll most likely be drinking wine all day.

19. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

No turkey here today. We are chicken people since I think its better than Turkey. Good old southern cooking! Peas and butter beans, Rice with gravy baked lemon pepper chicken. We got pumpkin pie with ice cream too
    Wife tried to burn down house a few minutes ago. Browning chicken gravy flour , wife not looking at anything but Macy parade on tv. Claud to the rescue!!
    We got French Chablis Blanc and another white that I have not pulled from wine cooler yet

DYohn likes this.
  20. DYohn

With thanks to Martha Stewart, I just made cranberry sauce using 6 cups fresh cranberries, 3 cups brown sugar, 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup cognac, a pinch of ground cloves and a pinch of cinnamon. YUMM!

Carl V likes this.