1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cooking thread

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

And take and post some pics. Don't just talk.

Make us hungry - :)

2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Chicken is good. I usually go with smoked sausage or kielbasa. I also add a can of crushed tomatoes and sometimes when I'm feeling frisky, a bag of frozen peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0974.JPG

Made Philly cheesesteaks tonight. I like mine American Witout with hot peppers, Lacey likes hers American Wit. And of course you need the Amoroso roll

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Wit / widdout refers to onions, not peppers. I order whiz wit.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Exactly. Witout (no onions) with hot peppers (there's no term for that). I live 25 mins from Philly, well versed in the lingo.

And if you ever see something called a Philly cheesesteak because it has green peppers and onions run. Sure you CAN get green peppers on a cheesesteak but they're not traditional

*edit - realized my wording was a little confusing. It makes more sense with the pictures but CJ is 100% correct in what he said, wit is with onions witout/widdout (it's not a real word it's just a spelling of an accent) is no onions.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  6. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My fav is a mushroom steak wit. No peppers.

7. CJ

I got convinced to do whiz by the guy in philly where I had my first real (and real fucking good) philly. I will always do whiz.

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Need to remember pics. Anyhow tonight I made some chicken tomatillo stew. Roasted onion, garlic, tomatillo, corn, Serrano. Blend with honey, cilantro, lime. Brown thighs with cumin, coriander, oregano. Parboil potato. Everyone goes in the pool for a simmer with some chicken stock. Serve with a little crema y cilantro.

Ah, let's not forget fresh watermelon margaritas. Last weekend was mango-habanero.

9. DustinDavis

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Summer cooler: Chill a "sweet heart" watermelon. In a blender, add a peeled 3" piece of fresh ginger and the juice of one fresh lime. Chop until fine. Add the flesh of the watermelon until it is all incorporated, and three or four ice cubes to blend until slushy. In a tall tumbler, half-fill with ice and add 2-3 ounces of Tito's vodka. Fill glass with watermelon mixture. Top with a mint sprig if desired. Yum.

CJ likes this.
  11. CJ

Sounds awesome.

DYohn likes this.
  12. DustinDavis

I bet this would also be good with a couple splashes of ginger ale.

DYohn likes this.
  13. CJ

IMG_0004.JPG

Basic but good

14. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

made a picture of this last nite...
    .it was a hit. I added a little more GINGER
    to give it a bit of Zing as well as little more lime juice.

DYohn likes this.
  15. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Kicking it old school with a Chicago Dog. Hummel hot dog on a bun with a pickle slice on one side and sliced cherry tomatoes on the other side topped with sauerkraut and a bit of mustard on top. For libations, it was bacardi white rum on ice with orange juice, then slow poured light cranberry juice and then goslings dark rum floated on top. Splash of lime to finish.

16. CJ

17. DustinDavis

I made my own beef jerky a couple of times now. Eye of round, thin sliced. Lots of recipes online. Once I made it with leftover tomatillo-serrano salsa. Once more traditional with soy/worcestershire/garlic/jalapeno and some of the other usual suspects. Marinate for 24 hours. Prop open your oven, set it to convect, on the lowest temp (mine is 170). Run for 4-5 hours. Pretty remarkable how good it turns out! I can't wait to try more recipes. Easy peasy.

18. DustinDavis

Also, a few weeks ago we went on vacation to Breckenridge. While there, we made a stop in Manitou Springs prior to riding the Cog Train up Pikes Peak. Went into a little restaurant that turned out to be Hungarian, where I had the yummiest Chicken Paprikash with a potato pancake. Made me want to do it at home, which I did. The one at the restaurant was more brothy and sweet, whereas I used a more creamy recipe, and hot paprika. And instead of a potato pancake, I decided to make homemade spaetzle, which I'd never done prior, and I only knew was a thing from Food Network or Cooking Channel or somesuch. Recipe for that is easy, cooking it properly takes a little effort. I quickly learned that the water shouldn't be at a rolling boil or the dumplings fall apart, but from that point it was straightforward. Fun to make! The leftovers kept quite well also. My wife could barely eat it--so spicy. Maybe next time I will go sweet paprika and potato pancake after all.

19. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

sounds good
    Do you recall the name of the Hungarian restaurant?
    I' ll be there this fall for another hike up the Mtn
    I usually walk up the old stair steps to the side and then
    transition over to the main trail just before the HUT.
    and another bike ride down on another day.

20. DustinDavis

PJ's Bistro, Manitou Springs, CO.