1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cooking thread

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by DYohn, Mar 21, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I know several of our members like to cook, so let's post pics of recent experiments!

Here's tonight:

New Mexico green chili sauce over chicken, with toasted sesame seeds. Side is cilantro-lime rice and black beans with cumin, cilantro and o nion. It is spicy and delish. And a local brew on the side.

IMG_0742.JPG

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I'll have some good stuff later, Sushi!

Been experimenting, learning and getting better. Bought a bunch of tools to help.

Kelly doesn't like uni and I have a tray to eat before it rots. So I'll make 2 rolls tonight, a bare rice roll to top with uni and a kappa maki (cucumber roll)

With warm saki of course - :)

3. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Great idea for a thread David. I've been cooking quite a bit lately, and some of the dishes, not all, are photogenic. Maybe this is a sticky candidate???

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

My kind of grub right there. I'll post some of my own later.

5. Mike B

Some are kinda rough, but I'm getting better. The kappa maki are very good, I use english cukes. Very good with martini's too - :)

33592408665_1abefd09c2_o.jpg

DYohn likes this.
  6. John Celardo

I bought a great French pizza stone from Woot and made a few. The stone has an enamel coating that cleans in a jif. They werent so good at first, but last night's was prety tasty. Fresh mutz, minced garlic, suprasad and broccoli.

33631436001_da807684f1_z_d.jpg

DYohn likes this.
  7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Looks good, what's the dough...

How hot does that stone get?
    Have ya ever put it in the oven?

I preheat oven to the 500 setting,
    then switch over to Broiler...it gets
    hotter...much

Chianti time

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I've been trying to figure out an effective way to make a family night of doing make it yourself personal pizzas. I thought about buying a few 8" cast iron pans and using those. Not sure.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Now that I have a gas oven I'm looking for a pizza stone I can put on the bottom of the oven and leave there.

10. John Celardo

Carl, it's on the stove after I cooked it in the oven. I ccheated the oven to 550 and that works well. I made my own dough the first time, but our local Italian market has good pizza dough. Much easier.

CJ, cast iron should work just fine. You just need high temperature in the oven.

11. Carl V

Sounds nice...cj & I will be by today around 5:30

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

13. Mike B

Tempura frog legs and asparagus;

32954371454_4c3c22cfcb_o.jpg

Just wonderful. Tender mild pearly white meat. Frog legs, the other white meat - :)

33641288052_9b8448345a_o.jpg

Made another batch last night for Kelly to try. She never had them before and was "skeptical" shall we say. She liked them.

14. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Wild rabbit another tasty mild meat. Goat is tasty cooked Indian style otherwise gamey.

DYohn likes this.
  15. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

We've been using this for a few months, and it's been working out pretty well for us: Blue Apron: Fresh Ingredients, Original Recipes, Delivered to You

Ignore the new age website vibe if that puts you off :) The produce and meat are of generally good quality. The recipes are pretty easy for the most part, and they include the one sauce/spice that you wouldn't normally have lying around in your kitchen that helps make the dish taste more authentic.

16. Carl V

agree....Fresh Choice & Home Fresh are also pretty good.
    Get you outta your 'usual cooking box' branch out.

17. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

We've been looking at those for more vegetarian choices for when my parents visit this summer.

18. Carl V

19. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Check out this well-priced Pizza Stone CJ. We've been making pizzas at home for years, and the latest way to make them fast, easy and tasty is to use store-bought naan bread for the crust.

20. John Celardo

I got this one for $25 from Woot. Solid, with a nice non-stick glaze.