1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Brandon's Atmos Basement Project

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by BrandonH, Mar 24, 2016.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Hi been a long time since I've been here! Several months back I started finishing in half my basement to use as a theater room and workout area. I had just read about this cool new thing called Atmos and decided to set it up as a 5.1.2 system. It turned out almost better than I could imagine and already in just the few months since I finished it I have been busy upgrading stuff. I first added a second sub making it 5.2.2 and then just this past week I upgraded my receiver to a Pioneer SC-95 and added two more ceiling speakers, and two rear surround speakers and now have a full 7.2.4 Atmos system. Besides the receiver, all my equipment is very budget friendly almost all the work was DIY. Fluance AV series speakers, Infinity ceiling speakers, Dayton subs, and a Benq projector make up my equipment. It really looks and sounds great for the money I've put into it. Anyway here are some pictures!

CJ likes this.
  2. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Insulation and drywall going up

3. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Mostly done now.

4. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

5. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Now completely finished with a 7.2.4 Atmos setup!

Attached Files:

6. Rick C

Rick C Member

Nice space. Have fun with it!

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Very nicely done!

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Wow, impressive construction skills!

9. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

10. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Thanks everyone! Full disclosure I did pay someone to do the drywall because I wanted it to look better than I knew I could do. I got advice on a lot of the rest and some assistance on the electrical as well. I passed all my inspections without any trouble so that felt good. I also asked my guy doing the drywall how my framing was, he said there was room for improvement lol, but hey you can't tell now that the drywall is up! If anyone is doubting whether Atmos is a gimmick or something worthwhile I wholeheartedly recommend it. The new Dolby Surround Upmixer when used on non-Atmos encoded material to expand the sound to all my speakers is constantly surprising me too with how good of a job it does.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
  11. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Great job and pics of the process!

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

Nicely done

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Very nicely done. I recently added ATMOS to my system (5.2.2) and I'm really impressed with how good it sounds despite the fact that 99 percent of the time I'm just using the DSU up conversion from regular 5.1. If you haven't yet done so download the ATMOS demo tracks from http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/ - You can use Plex on your PC to play them as a proper Bitstreamed source to your AVR.

If you search around online you can also find links to download the ATMOS demo DVD. Those are really cool as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  14. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

Yes DSU is awesome! I run everything through it except music when I'm working out because I'm so close to the back speakers it sounds weird. Thanks for the link. I do need to download those Atmos demos. There are some free ones on Vudu as well but it always takes like 10 seconds before it switches to the highest quality with Atmos and they are short clips so not very ideal.

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Brandon check your private messages.