Bottlehead Stereomour

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Mike B, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Knight Kits! Holy crap, somebody besides me not only remembers them but built them. Wow.

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I put the power cord in my receiver.... All by myself. Does that count as a kit?

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Chad helped me move the finished sub around, it was a bit heavy. I remember doing the inner supports very well, that was a bunch of work.

IMG_4142Large.jpg

IMG_4132Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  4. Jack

Yeah, Knight Kit Star Roamer, Stereo Amp, Speakers and then the tune up wiz from Heath Kit. The good days when we all had better control of our digits.
    Damn I am old.

5. chad

That thing was super heavy for no bigger than it was.

6. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Mesh Plates

Really cool looking eh?

9062349487_678fdb27e6_o.jpg

When I first turned it on they sounded weak. Had to turn the volume up quite a bit. Still sounded weak. Reset the hum pots, they were way off, every time you change tubes you have to set the hum pots. Still weak. Very clear, just a little weak.

Put in the Gold Lion 12AT7 and that helped. Gave it more body. Sounds pretty good now, I'm going to let they play all week to get a more relaxed appraisal.

Gotta love those big bottles and the zig-zag filiments though.

Dunno. Don't think they sound any better than the EH tubes with the the Valvo driver.

But they sure do look cool - :)

7. Mike B

They were sounding pretty good at 11:00 when I turned them off. Guess they needed some burn in.

I'll run these all week and then check back to the EH gold grids next weekend.

I love those big bottles, look like something out of a different era.

8. Jack

They do look good and would make a nice night light while you are listening at night. I hope they come around sound wise, that would be very cool, looks and performance.

9. Mike B

Last night they went back to the box. That wierd 2 db balance problem was back and one side took like 5 seconds longer to start making sound than the other.

Shit. Redid the hum balance thing and I couldn't get one tube to go below 6 millivolts. They were both 2-3 last night. Piss.

Put the EH Golds and the Valvo back in and was caressed by sonic bliss again. Done tube rolling on this baby.

More expensive / better looking does not always sound better.

10. chad

How long does a tube last?

11. Mike B

Power tubes 1000-2000 hours. Signal tubes can go 10,000.

12. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

tube of lube...like KY? gee, I dunno?

13. Jack

KY :lol::lol:

Isnt this the issue with rolling ? Never know which way things will go once one starts. They still look nice.

14. Carl V

Sounds like women

15. Mike B

Exactly. Gotta find one that loves ya.

Or in the case of tubes, one that your amp loves.

Got home, turned it on and voodoo child was on followed by gold dust woman. Just stood there and shivered. Finished my cocktail, wanted to make another but couldn't move - :)

16. Carl V

yeah way to go

17. Mike B

I replaced the 2A3's last night. Got some weird humming going on the right channel and adjusted it out with the pot but it was back in 5 minutes. I also did this last month.

Hummm, might be time to put in new tubes eh? Turned everything off, pulled the old ones (working for 3-4 hours a day now since May 2013, 4.5 years, ~ 5000 hours) and installed the new Electro Harmonix gold grids. Warmed them up, shouted each input and set the hum pots to the minimum which was 2.5 milli-volts, sweet!

Source and DAC back on and the hum is gone and the sound is very sweet once again. A little sweeter than before the swap, but I really didn't notice as it took 4 and a half years.

I'm glad I had some spare tubes on the shelf, that hum would have drove me nuts if I had to wait.

18. Jack

Good to know you're back on track Mike. I still have to do some tube work on my Dared as many of you have suggested, just have not done it yet. It sounds good but needs something a little less top end oriented.

19. Carl V

tubes are wonderful....but they degrade often slowly & subtly.
    We accommodate to this....unless it's a hum, buzz or crackle...
    not to mention snap crackle BOOM.

Each and every time I swap out tubes i notice it comes back to life
    with a glorious 'aha'. I once heard a tube mfg. suggest swapping
    out tubes once a year or Two....not to wait till something obvious.
    This is different than tube rolling. Sorta like Oil change, tire rotation etc.,

So, I most always have a spare matched quad set of el34/el84 & 6550.
    I keep the critical driver tubes around as well. I wish I had a HOUR meter
    attached to the amps. DHT tubes really showed wear. When I had 211
    and 845 they aged more than 2A3, imho.

Regardless Mike glad you're back in the groove.

20. Mike B

It wasn't like "shit to gold" or anything really to worry about. Just a little sweeter is all. I don't think I'll be tossing a $160 pair of tubes every year just for good measure. And I'm really going to toss then too, not save them just in case.

Might forget and think they were new or something and really drive myself crazy - :)