1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike B, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Speaking of "grill work", I fixed my egg today. It had a cracked firebox. It had been cracked for years but I never got a round to it and the thing is round and self supporting so I wasn't too concerned. But the crack kept getting bigger and I was avoiding doing the super hot mesquite burns that I love so much for tenderloins;

36296616035_53218a00da_o.jpg

I looked up the website and they said to go to any authorized dealer with sales receipt and problem. BBQ's Galore went out of business a long time ago but we now have Ace Hardware as a dealer so over I went. Today they called and said my firebox arrived and no charge. I bought this thing over 18 years ago and it's cool to see that their "lifetime" warranty really is lifetime.

35902906240_6008bac250_o.jpg

As you can see the new firebox is factory "pre-cracked", guess they had expansion issues and fixed the problem. It fit in perfect and is now ready to rock!

36129906942_f3629dedca_o.jpg

Which it will be doing soon as I'm going to start a 6 lb whole chicken in an hour. One last chore to do, toss the rubble inna trash.

35902906220_d48f63492c_o.jpg

I figured the low - medium temp chicken cook would be best before and should get the thing broken in before I do a hell-fire mesquite burn - :)

2. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

wow that is a great warranty.

3. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I want an Big Green Egg so much...they can be upwards of $1K up here.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

Can be, I thought the mini and maybe the small were under 1k. All the rest would be over.

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes they are expensive. But worth it me thinks. They also went up big time since I bought mine which is not unexpected.

Back in May of 1999 I bought my large BGE at BBQ's Galore (now defunct) for the brutally expensive price of 409.99 (Full MSRP) and the same size product (with improvements) is now 9 hundred bucks at Ace Hardware. I had previously burnt the bottoms out of 2 Weber (charcoal) kettles and went through 3 gas grills.

I can tell you that I spent more on the stuff that I replaced with the egg than I spent on the egg. So I find the BGE worth every penny and then some.

Just an amazing product based on a timeless design

6. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Worth every penny and are cheap as compared to some of the kammodo grills out there that are very fancy. Around here, they go for about $1,500 but will last a lifetime because they are built like a brick poop house. Also, because of the shape and ceramic constriction, they manage heat incredibly well and are super consistent at low or high heat. When my faux egg goes, the green monster will be on my deck for sure.

Best food I ever cooked on mine? Buffalo chicken wings......

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

PRIMO ovals are very Nice....

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

That's what I have. Mine is 10 years old now and I'm finally started building a proper table for it this summer. Need to tile the top, touch up some paint and get some electrical in place.

49dea0d34520f03016184008a3049f12.jpg

They certainly aren't cheap but they do last and I agree are for the most part worth the price.

ChristopherG likes this.
  9. ChristopherG

ChristopherG New Member

I also have the Primo Oval XL. Love it. Definitely expensive but boy is it versatile. The oval shape was what convinced me as I was going to get the Egg until a friend mentioned the Primo. Either way the ceramic cooking experience is great.

10. ChristopherG

ChristopherG New Member

Great looking table!

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

I had to sell mine for the move. Moving company wanted $700 to crate and move it. I'll be buying a new one within a week of moving in to the new house.
    The table I built for it got moved, no questions asked. LOVE the egg....