1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Basement remodel...

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Andrew Pratt, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Well after living in our house for 6 years trouble free and finally fixing up the basement last winter we had water seeping into the basement through a crack between the driveway and the house. End result is there's moisture & mold on the front wall where my projection screen was. So i've pulled the whole wall apart, sprayed anti fungal spray and now get to rebuild the wall. on the plus side this will let me run an additional power outlet for the dual front subs and another for some LED lighting I want to run behind the screen. Previously I'd just painted a section of the wall a neutral grey (visible on the photo) and while that worked well I really wanted to build another floating screen like I had in my old house so that's the plan this time round. It will likely be another 120" screen as that sized seemed to work well for the space i had and will be blackout cloth stretched over a frame and painted with the same grey paint.

More photo's to follow as things progress...

Attached Files:

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Bummer about the water leak, but it's a damned fine excuse to make some upgrades, isn't it? ;)

3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Like most of us need an excuse. ;) But that does suck about the water leak.

4. jhoak

jhoak Active Member War Zone Member

Sorry about the water leak. I've been on the cleanup end of many mold and mildew issues in homes. I know what you're dealing with.

HT wise this looks like what I call a "Begat's Project". As in one change begat's another which begat's another and so on and so forth.

Totally unrelated but many years ago I had one of those "Begat's Projects". It started with a leaking toilet. The fix was a $5 wax ring. Then the thought became while the toilet is up it's a good time for new vinyl tile on the floor. From there it went to a new vanity cabinet. Next was a total remodel of the bathroom. How the hell I went from a $5 wax ring to a $3K+ bathroom upgrade remains a mystery to me. Only the ex can answer that. The one thing I did take away from that project is just how important "color matched" towels are. :(

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Classic.:p
    "might as well" projects...or project spinoffs...spiraling upwards.
    we've all been there, done that & have the VISA bills to prove it.

6. Andrew Pratt

We had a torrential rain this afternoon which provided me an opportunity to see just where the water is seeping in. Mostly via snap tie holes but also through some horizontal hairline cracks. Those horizontal cracks are a concern as that speaks to structural issues so I'm going to have to get some contractors in and get some professional opinions on how to proceed. Looks like this is going to get expensive :( At least interest rates are really low.

7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Bummer Andrew. Can your insurance help?

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

9. Andrew Pratt

I saw those Dustin and if they were vertical I'd be looking to source that product. I may still do that but I need to get the horizontal cracks looked at to determine if the wall is still sound or if it's failing. The worse part is that my driveway is covering that side of the house so that will need to get pulled out if we need to attack the problem from the outside...

As for insurance..nope they won't cover seepage.

10. Carl V

You are a smart guy
    I used a few products
    to both seal and insulate the basements
    in Omaha & Oklahoma. Mother nature is a bitch.
    French drains. Crushed rock and drains help.

Best of luck to you.

11. Andrew Pratt

Quick update. Had 4 contractors in and have opted for the one we feel most comfortable with. They're a well known foundation company (Sturgeon) and were very competitive price wise. We'll be bracing from the inside with C channels and then digging out the wall from the outside and apply a water seal barrier. It means busting up the driveway but it is the proper way to solve the problem.

12. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Good luck Andrew. We expect a forum meeting up there once you get things right.

13. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Big job, lots of rubble.

Hope all goes well and good to get it done before winter.

14. Andrew Pratt

You guys are welcome anytime....though I suggest if you're coming from somewhere south of me...you might want to wait until next summer. Hopefully summer lands on a weekend next year!

15. Carl V

now that was funny.

good luck.

16. Andrew Pratt

Update:

Contractor has been picked and we are just waiting for them to come and do the foundation repair.

While we wait I've been researching and ordering supplies for the new layout so what's new...

106" acoustically transparent screen (Costco)
    Guilford of Maine fabric for the front false wall (eBay)
    3 new (to me) Boston Acoustics CR67 bookshelf speakers that will become my new LCR speakers along with the dual NXG subs.

Photos to follow once the work begins

17. Andrew Pratt

Oct 29th update

So progress has been made. The outside foundation work was completed early this week and I've started to reconstruct the interior walls. The drywall went up last night and so tonight I can start building the false wall.

Attached Files:

18. Carl V

Lookin' good in the neighborhood.
    AT Screen from COSTCO....do tell.

What ever became of your M8ta speakers?

Have fun.

19. Andrew Pratt

The M8a's were sold 7+ yrs ago!

The AT Screen (link) is an AccuScreen (Draper) screen that is being sold through Costco. The reviews are decent for such a budget screen so I figured it's worth a try. I got the grey version but it is still in the box so i haven't even seen what it looks like yet. I'm taking tomorrow off to work on the wall (insert nights watch joke here) so if things go smoothly maybe I'll have it done this weekend.

20. Andrew Pratt

I took a day off work today and spent all day working on the basement. The photo's below show the goose grey side panels which hide the dual subs. I wanted the space around them so that's why those side panels are deeper...it also allowed me to bevel in the edge to break up the front wall. They're just 2*4 construction, painted black and covered with Guilford of Maine fabric. The centre part is black GoM and will have the acoustic screen that I'm almost finished assembling. I'll post photo's of that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015