1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Are we back to Square One with UHD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Jay Brown, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

I remember when High Definition was a site to see for many. You walk into a Best Buy or Circuit City and see all of these flat panels on the walls streaming HD content. I remember seeing Motion Blur for the first time, which was a Sony TV connected to a PS3 playing the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

I remember getting my first HDTV and dealing with Standard Def feeds into a device with higher resolution. Then, purchasing an antenna and being "wowed" by the expanded Color Palet of HD. Whether it be 720p or 1080i feeds from OTA channels, or HD Feeds, both Mpeg 2 and 4 from Direct TV, the wow factor was there. With channels like HDNet on Direct TV, I would watch those screen savers of nature and feel satisfied.

Now with UHD, and a new display, I find myself doing the same thing. now HDNet has been replaced with Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Instant, Vudu , and digital downloads.

I've managed to get HDR to work between my Nvidia Shield and TV, watched a UHD movie on Vudu (Fantastic Beasts), and stream some UHD clips from Youtube, and binge watched a few episodes of House of Cards on Netflix. If your TV settings are where you want them to be, then HDR can really work, and when the Display is not set up properly, it really shows.

The image quality and motion from some of the videos I downloaded or watched on Youtube has more of a "wow" affect compared to what can be found through Netflix,or Amazon. I turned off Motion Flow on my TV because I find it distracting, plus I was not focusing on a story line, but rather, the movement of people and objects.

So how will UHD be treated with TV Programming? Will there be any uniformity between what can be viewed on Youtube and Vimeo, compared to next week's episode of The Big Bang Theory, or will filmmakers use different methods of video production for their respective genres? It looks as if the normalization of High Definition didn't really change how TV shows were viewed with the exception of Aspect Ratio. I'm speaking of the "end user" experience. Videos of various programming looked the same as in the past, just clearer.

That's an obvious case that will spill over to 4K, and HDR10 or Dolby Vision would add more of an impact to the overall image quality, but that wow factor is my concern. If you every get a chance to view some of the videos from Sony, LG, Hisense, and Samsung, in 4k, you can clearly see the potential of the technology. This is true for current programming in Ultra Hi Def, but I would be more impressed if the production values of those short videos coming from the Manufacturers had more of an impact on the current crop of programs filmed in UHD.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I don't think the wow factor is as big. Current HD is pretty good and regardless of actual resolution, the jump from VHS to DVD felt huge. The jump from DVD to BD was big but not as huge IMO. I think this jump will be even more nuanced at the end of the day.

3. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

The content producers react to the market demands. Most folks don't know about or even bother to calibrate the PQ on their TVs. As long as the display is huge and picture is bright they are impressed. Unless the bandwidth issue of broadcasting true 4K either OTA or cable is resolved there will be few UHD content IMO. Netflix, Amazon etc will likely produce UHD content IMO true appreciation of those will remain with the enthusiasts.

4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Active Member War Zone Member

I don't know if I need/want to see more caked makeup and skin imperfections on actors and personalities on screen than I currently do ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

yes, for most users of 40-55" displays with typical content....but each and everyday I am amazed at how many people are watching
    new releases or "TV" shows on small devices: iPads, Notebooks, Laptops or Phones(fer cryin' out loud). Even for the techies/gamers
    they are watching on nice 26-30" PC monitors. The number of people doing so on BIG flat screen let alone front PJ setups is smaller
    than I woulda thought & and Top notch So0und or Vision is not a crucial to many.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Bingo...

7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

I think the wow factor is limited this time around. The demos display the goodies, while regular content filmed in 4k just looks clearer. HDR enhances to experience but for some, enhanced saturated colors can be off-putting.

One thing I will not do is update my library to UHD discs. I did the update from DVD to Blu Ray with about 75% of my library and did see an improvement in overall image quality, lossless audio being the icing on the cake. However BD to UHD, plus with the amount of streaming I do on a weekly basis, and with no real solid way to rip UHD discs at this current time, that task may be all but abandoned on my part.

The streaming services have yet to offer a true Lossless experience at this current point in time. Vudu may offer Atmos, but it's still lossy, for example.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

8. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I updated a bunch of DVDs to Blu-Rays when Best Buy had their upgrade program and would give you credit for turning in an old DVD. I very rarely will re-buy stuff in another format, whether that is music or movies. The reason my Blu-Ray collection grew (since I tend to purchase less than I used to) is due to the Best Buy program. I do some streaming from online services as well now.

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

What Carl said is my understanding. Unless you're watching on a really big screen, the number of dots don't mean that much. It seems the manufacturers are playing to early adopters and people who don't know what they're buying. I'm very happy with my 1,080 dots on my 6' pull-down screen.

10. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

For my one UHD display I got last year I did a 55 inch (just sit 7 feet away). I have some older TVs (another old 55 inch back lit LED in one room and a 50 incher in another) and I figured prices would ease over time and if worse came to worse I could just rotate what I have now and I'd probably do a UHD a drop bigger.