1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple is stunning and brave

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Sep 7, 2016.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

What percent are having issues? You guys threw "mine's not broken so its not a problem" back in my face... what's the failure rate compared to the industry average?

The last data I found showed iPhones have a lower failure rate than smart phones on average and a lower failure rate than consumer electronics as a whole. Everything that happens is going to be a "gate" though. Antennagate, bendgate... its because they are a huge company and they are half of a huge fan driven duopoly like Canon vs. Nikon or Ford vs. Chevy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I did not mean the 6s I meant a plural of the iPhone 6. They are having lots of touch screen problems and I think the 6 is nearly 2 years old. I know it did not look right. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

CJ
    I freely admit I don't know how prevalent the touch screen issue is but I know it got lots of press to the point where normal iPhone friends seemed to be discussing as opposed to those that are techies and online all the time.

I had a 3rd Gen iPad die a few years back and all they could tell me is the memory went bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

According to cnet

.01% of all Note 7s are affected
    Fewer than 1000 units

5. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

They may be the #2 watch "brand" not watch "maker". Swatch and Casio make 20x the number of watches vs. Rolex because they have multiple brands vs. the single Rolex brand.

6. CJ

f59d34e41d7a9a9bb4c0c860ef3e214a.jpg

Posted via Tapatalk. Forgive my brevity and potential typos.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  7. Drew

What's the audio quality like? Solid lows maybe? Possibly, butt muffled I'm sure. Overall I imagine it sounds like shit.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  8. Drew

Also....

Internet: Spend YEARS bitching about earbuds getting caught on literally everything and getting tangled up.

Apple: We removed removed the wires.

Internet: OMGWTF are you doing!

Barry_NJ likes this.
  9. CJ

Yeah, the take away there is people on the internet will literally complain about anything. I've read one review that came through my twitter feed that was like 90% positive. The reviewer was a New Yorker and said literally no one even noticed he was wearing them. Might be the first Apple product that you can't buy if you care what other people think about you. Ironic.

10. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah, it's kind of amazing and is wide in scope. I look up yelps on restaurants I think are really good and there's always a few "that's the worst crap I ever ate"

11. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

FWIW, IDC reports that Fitbit shipped 5.7m units, Apple 1.6m units in 2Q16:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...earables-Soar-Smart-Wearables-Stall-Worldwide

12. CJ

That's pretty impressive considering Fitbit starts at $60 vs $300 for an Apple Watch.

13. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

I also suspect that Apple's profit margin % is higher.

14. CJ

I bought a pair of these last night. I thought about starting a new thread (given the negative tone of this thread from people who had never seen or used the product) but thought, you know what, fuck it.

They are expensive for the sound quality but that's not why I bought them. I have a (very first world) use case that they fulfill.

At work I'm constantly running between meetings or just going to get a coffee or use the restroom and my existing Bluetooth headphones naturally disconnect from my phone. When I get back I have to reconnect them by fiddling with the phone settings or power cycling the headphones. Frequently what this means is that I don't bother, which can be somewhat of a bummer.

Additionally, in my particular case, something is crapping out on my existing Jabra Bluetooth on-ear headphones. With the Jabra I would have to power cycle the headphones multiple times to get them to connect and then audio wouldn't pass until they were connected for almost 30 seconds in some cases. So I was going to buy a new pair any way because that was becoming too big of an irritant. I could have bought $25 standard Bluetooth headphones and been fine but still have to deal with reconnecting when returning to my office. The Airpods naturally solve that problem beautifully.

Also I will say the pause on remove function and resume on insert is actually super practical. Its so great for when someone walks into your office to ask you a question, just pop one out and the music / podcast stops. And of course, while you only have to do it upon initial setup (so when you get a new phone, have to restore the OS, etc.) the initial pairing process is both ridiculously easy and super cool!

You guys know I'm all in on Apple but my experience thus far mirrors my experience with the Apple watch where I didn't buy right away and in fact kind of scoffed. But when I finally decided why not, I ended up getting far more utility from the product than I thought I would.

Ultimately what you're paying for here is a premium user experience. Its clearly a luxury to not have to re-pair headphones when you go out of range and they disconnect. For many people that would not be worth the coin regardless and for some on the fence the admittedly goofy looks might push them over the edge. I won't pretend I never care what people think, but I've become a lot less self conscious as I've gotten older, and I certainly don't care what anyone thinks of my earbuds.

I'll post an update after I live with them a bit longer, if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    DYohn likes this.
  15. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Raises Hands, Interested to learn about them.

16. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I'd actually love to hear more about the Airpods. I don't think they would actually work for me as I tried the buds supplied with the iPhone and the fit was not all that secure for me. I did think the sound quality was better than OK despite the less than snug fit.

I did buy a pair of Beats X and love them. the W1 chip makes pairing a breeze and they also have a great range. Another convenience is being able to charge with a lighting cable and getting two hours of usage on a five minute charge. The highs are a bit brittle but otherwise the Beats X are the best sounding "Apple" headphones I've owned. I actually think the sound quality is quite good and satisfying.

If the Airpods are fairly snug and the audio quality is up to snuff I would consider giving them a go. I like the idea of being able to put them in a case to charge.

17. CJ

The physical shape, size, dimensions, etc. of the Airpods are identical to the standard Apple buds with respect to the part that goes into your ear. The "tail" is a bit different but that should not affect the actual fit. One comment I've seen more than once with respect to the fit is that they may not feel super secure but they in fact, do not fall out. Several early reviewers commented that they expected one would fall out while jogging or otherwise exercising but they didn't.

I think I may do a YouTube video this weekend. Obviously I'm way late to the party for the internet at large but you guys might want to see it.

18. GHilinski

Holy crap. I just do not need to be that connected! Taking a dump and pod casts just do not relate to a party. :)

Not interesting story to you but maybe to me. During the review process, my manager quoted that I spent a fair amount of time walking the floor talking to people. Getting up and having face to face conversations vs. email after email. People found that odd because they had to take their ear buds out of their ears to have a conversation and solve a problem directly.

Podcasts are for home unless work related. If it is about security. Great. I'm an old man but a wise man. Sort of.....

claud likes this.
  19. CJ

The proliferation of headphones at work is directly related to the open floorplan office. When I started my career everyone had a cube with 6ft walls made from fabric over acoustic material. Now they're less than shoulder height. Distractions are a huge problem, the headphones help. I actually don't listen to music a ton at work because I find that unless its instrumental, it can still distract me. It negatively impacts my reading comprehension. It seems to be less of a problem for younger people although having reviewed their work, it might be impacting their comprehension just as badly.

20. GHilinski

True. I guess as as an old timer, I feel bad having to waive my hand at someone who is plugged in just to get their attention to ask a simple question. Working for a UK based company is interesting. They look at our cubes as luxury! Granted in my last job, mu office was about 400 square feet so I am really slumming it today. Five more years, five more years!