1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple is stunning and brave

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ya. You're right about that. ;)

2. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

That dude who's Jeep exploded probably cares.

3. Graeme

I equate the headphone jack with the removal of the DVD ROM drive from the MacBook Air. It got bad press at the time, Apple probably gave a "we are visionaries" type response but really it was to make a thinner laptop.

Only time will tell if like the DVD ROM they really did remove something just as it became less of a necessity, or if they made a mistake.

4. Drew

Well that and Samsung doesn't do keynotes like Apple. Or If they do ive never noticed. Maybe thats the point. Apple certainly loves the pageantry.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

One paraphrased idea which is attributed to Steve Jobs and Apple that I really agree with: giving the people what they want means you are always reactive and 6 months behind the development curve. Creating something new and then telling the people that they want it is how you drive innovation.

6. Graeme

7. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I'm due an upgrade and I've found that I get the best value selling a 2 yr old phone than holding on longer so I'll likely upgrade my wife and I's iPhone 6 to something new....just a bit on the fence if that'll be a 6S or a 7. I bet we'll see a much bigger change next year for the 10th anniversary so I may opt to get a cheap 6S and upgrade again next year.

As for dropping the old analog port...it won't much matter to me. I use bluetooth in the car and my noise canceling phones at work so adding the included adapter won't impact me.

9. Graeme

Here's another article that provides a view I've seen mentioned a few times. That removal of the headphone jack is just another step taken to further close the ecosystem (an ecosystem designed to be closed).

So Apple's not a visionary driving the market. It's simply been adept (mostly) at determining at what point the market will accept removal of things to support increased closure of the ecosystem:
    - No removable memory
    - No removable battery
    - No floppy drives
    - No optical drives
    - No headphone jack

So while the headphone jack removal has been defined by Apple in metaphoric terms (courage) and practical terms (need more space) there's a third reason -- need more control on our ecosystem.

It's not just headphones. Square's credit card reader. The multitude of selfie sticks. Other third party remote shutter devices.

With this removal, Apple has finally successfully removed all non-proprietary physical input methods to the iPhone.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/living-in-apples-future/499214/

10. Drew

They'll be a new square reader. Apple will simply get a cut going fwd.

11. Drew

On second thought on the square readers. Step one have iPhone 4 or older. Step 2 have cracked screen. Step 3 use square reader. Probably not that much of an impact.

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Apple has its own worldview... luckily no one is forcing anyone to buy one. I'm sure in the effort to waterproof the phone plus with space being a premium the looked at the phone and said "why do we have two ports right next to each other when the one in the middle does everything the one on the left does plus there is a second way (that is becoming more popular) to do what the one on the left does?" Everything that uses the headphone jack as an input will have a lightening version released. Sure that's another $30 but come on. If you're using square, you're accepting payments... you can absorb another $30. If you're using something like an outboard mic to do interviews, its possible there will be real, tangible benefits to using the lightning port as new products are released.

13. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I get the obvious Apple trolling but these things do look ridiculous. I'm not entirely sure what the market is for these? There are other companies making similar products. 5 hour battery life is also pretty abysmal.

The Beats Solo 2's are pretty good. A tad bit bass heavy but otherwise a very enjoyable pair of headphones.

I don't know if it's courageous or not, but the headphone market has shown a huge growth in wireless/BT headphones. As far as a mobile device goes, I don't think I'll ever use a wired connection again. Bose and Sennheiser BT/Noise Cancellers give 20 hours battery life. I'm in no worry of draining the battery on my QC 35's. If I have to have a better quality wired headphone, the adapter will suit me just fine.

These Air Pods do seem silly though.

14. Drew

CJ isn't wrong on his comments on the two ports, but it sure as shit doesn't hurt their decision on lighting licensing fees AND that they acquired beats.

15. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

The Airpods seem pretty great to me (looks aside). It's very much like Apple to take an existing technology and iterate it to make the experience better. No annoying Bluetooth pairing setup required. Open the case and one touch "accept" to link the connection to your device, that's it. The best part being they will autopair to all of your Apple devices logged into the same iCloud account, that's some pretty cool technology. The 5 hour run time does seem low but with quick quick recharge you get 3 hours of runtime with a 15 minute charge. That's seems fair for such a small wireless device. Anyway it will be a while before I drop $160 on a pair but I definitely want to try them out.

Also the iPhone 7 is shipping with a mini-jack to lightning adapter, that's very un Apple like but I think it was a good decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
  16. CJ

Is the run-time compared to BT earbuds actually that bad? I've seen people compare them to the run-time of over the ear cans which is absurd.

17. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

The in ear ones I've seen have run times that vary from 3-4 hours up to 10-12 hours. My Bragi Dash get a little under 4 and my JayBirds X2 get about 8.

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

The bigger deal is they have the charging case. It's rare you'll realistically use them more than a few hours without them going back in the case. And if the case warns you when it's low it's just as rare that when it warns you the headphones won't be charged either. I think that was a big mistake from Bragi to not keep that with their new cheaper headphone for what it costs to put a battery in the case.

I've run the jaybirds down 3 times because I forgot to charge them. Never happened with the dash. It's just too bad the dash's Bluetooth connection isn't great.

19. CJ

Good points all around. Battery life is a direct correlation to size. I've seen some of what I call the halo ear buds where there's plastic near-circle that you put around your neck and the earbuds are on dongles. The battery is in the halo part and thus is larger.

20. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

You guys have the price wrong. It is really $540 because I would lose at least one side a month and then get pissed at the whole thing and buy a $20 pair of skull candy's.

As far as the watch goes, I never knew there was such a market for ugly gaudy watches :)