Anyone been following this new camera?

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by jasn, Jan 3, 2018.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

A long while back I signed up for emails to follow the development of a new, 16-lens, multi-image, 52 MB HD camera called the light 16. It's been out on the market for about a year now.

At $2K it's way above my price range, but wanted to put it up here to see if others had been following it too? What's the industry buzz?

hero-1-Float.png

Attached Files:

2. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I would consider it if it would keep my coffee at 135 degrees. :p

DYohn likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

52Mp recorded to a pencil eraser sized sensor? Hard pass. It looks like it’s 16 smartphone sensors stitched together with software so super shitty dynamic range and zero low light performance. Sorry not trying to be a dick but it looks like a gadget not a camera.

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

No problem on my end CJ, and snooping around the interwebs the reviews are not good for reasons you raise. I just thought it to be an interesting looking gadget so put it up here for possible chit chat.

Perhaps the application will improve and we will see a better model down the road...

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yeah, I remember some smartphone had a 64MP camera years ago and it was advertised heavily and the actual photos were significantly worse than the at the time 8MP iPhone. Sensor size is significantly more important than raw pixel count.

DYohn likes this.
  6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

7. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

High resolution cameras used in surveillance drones and like use the same technology - stitching together data from many smartphone sensors to yield a high resolution picture. This is likely poor execution of that technology.

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I want to hack it and make it NOT stitch the image together so you end up with images that look like they are through a fly's eyes. :)

3900877962_8c7dc7bfa6_z.jpg

9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I would be interested if it was smaller. It's bigger than the compact cameras I have now.

10. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You want small? I got a Hero 6 for a Christmas. Way too small for my big fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk