1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Another interesting kit car.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Dustin B, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

DF Kit Car: Modern mid-engine kit cars

If you can pick up the kit from the factory in its cheapest form and find a cheap donor Cobalt should be able to build it for ~10k. Going for the turbo engine with all the options still shouldn't pass 20k by too much even if you had to get it via frieght. The utilization of the donor Cobalt is incredibly extensive and will also make this very easy to maintain. Also looks like one of the few kits that won't surprise you with a bunch of fabrication work you didn't expect.

JapyTxW.jpg

Granted it isnt much to look at and can only be fair weather driven. But 0-60 can range from under 5 to under 3.5 for the turbo if you can maintain traction. Doubt it has stellar handling but I'd bet it would be a blast to drive.

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I'm sure you've seen the Factory Five 818 kit based on Subaru running gear. It's about the same price and fully enclosed. I saw a TV show where they built one with a Ford EcoBoost 4 for 300 HP but you can also build a Subi motor for a lot more than stock.

I'm fascinated by these things but I'm sure I'd never finish if I started to build one. That said my friend who is a physician built a FF Cobra. It's a crazy drive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dustin B

Ya I've seen those. The bit of looking into them I did showed a lot of unhappy customers. If you didn't have means to fab your own parts your build either didn't go well or got expensive fast. Subaru parts would be more than Cobalt parts and getting the 818 body fitting well and looking good isn't easy or cheap.

The SLC Apex also looked pretty reasonable but SLC has sold the design to another company and those with kits are having a tough go, as it was far from a polished kit.

You wouldn't buy this kit to have a flashy looking car. This would just be for the pure fun of driving it. Removing the desire to make it flashy looking removes a huge amount of work and money ;-)

So price wise and for the reason mentioned above it has some serious appeal. Problem is even if I had the extra 15k I don't have a 3rd garage stall and the amount of the year it could be driven up here is pretty small.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

What's it cost to build, including the donor car? More than a Polaris Slingshot ready to go from the factory?

5. Dustin B

Will depend on options from both. Looks to be 50 to 30 percent less. And a single rear wheel on something like the Elio is one thing but on a performance car I'd be skeptical.

DYohn likes this.
  6. Dustin B

Wow it's actually rear wheel drive too. 0-60 is over 6 seconds and handling is not good. I think the reviewer I watched nailed it. Makes an interesting cruiser but really it's the most attention you can buy for 20-25k.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

many moons ago I helped a friend with his Lotus & Caterham Kit.
    his started with FORD Cortina 1600cc...then twin cam 1600...
    then he went for the German Ford 2 liter....they were fun fair weather cars.
    Handling was pretty good, not incredible but fun.

8. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

I'd rather drive the Cobalt, not that I would ever be caught dead in a Cobalt. If you want a cool roadster, there are so many good alternatives out there that are really nice cars for under $30k and you can drive them all year long.

I looked into an ERA cobra kit and passed at the end of the day. They are super nice builds, super fast but I can buy a nice 911 for the same price and have the same wow factor.

9. Dustin B

10. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

THIS!!

I saw some beautiful Cobra kits cross the Barrett-Jackson auction block last year in the $25K - $35K range. I suspect the builder had more into material and time than what it hammered at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

Ummmm 911s at that price point that are worth buying.... really? I look occasionally for 911 and caymans and I am not seeing anything I could get in this range, at least not in my area.

12. Dustin B

That's my thought. Plus at that price range it ain't going to be low mileage and Porsche parts ain't cheap or anywhere near as readily available as Cobalt parts. And I'm not sure what Porsche you could get for 20k used that would do 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds.

13. GHilinski

Speed ain't nothing without class. Re-read my post. I was comparing the 911 to the ERA cobra kit, not this kit car.

14. Dustin B

Different goals I guess. Shear fun of driving or trying to impress others ;-)

15. GHilinski

Drive a 911 and you will save every possible dollar you have to buy one. They are that fantastic of a car if you want the driving experience. Dump $25k into a kit car to go fast in a straight line and it and it will be worth about $10 in two years. That is why i did not do the ERA cobra because they are worth about 40% of what you buy it for after year one. They are wicked fast, handle fairly well, look fantastic but do not hold their value at all.

You want to do a kit car? Buy a Miata, super charge it and you are in the 5 second range in a real car. Depending upon how much you pay for the car. You are in a super car for about $20k and it really does not hit the depreciation of the car that much.

16. Chris Slade

I have never driven a 911, but I have driven fast and nice cars and nice fast cars. Next week I think I will get to drive a tesla s, I am looking forward to that. I did drive a Cayman S, I liked it a lot but it was a little lacking in power, but handled extremely well. I think newer caymans have addressed the power issue. So for me I don't know if my attainable dream car is a 911 anymore, it may be a very late model cayman. No car like this could ever be my daily (drive an F250) but if I had all my financial obligations well under control I'd love to have one as a toy. Or a 68 charger, I love those damn things too.

Having said that my wife's car is an amazingly fun daily, and there are a few options there too. But after time having it as a daily kind of spoils the feel.

17. Rick C

Rick C Member

I think with cars part of the intrigue is the lust for something new and different. Many times once acquired it becomes familiar. After the first scratch it becomes a car again rather than a dream. I was wrestling with these thoughts this morning as I was at the dealership getting my wife's SUV serviced, walked around the lot and test drove a new car that I really don't need.

Chris your mentioning a 1968 Charger brings back memories of my first car. A 1968 Formula S 340 Plymouth Barracuda. The fond memories stopped when I recalled plug changes, setting the dual point distributor along with the corresponding mashed knuckles.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM
  18. Chris Slade

For me I think there are three different things going on here.

A fun daily, I have done this.

Basically a track car, Dustin style

A sports car, the 911 talk

All three have there place and are fun to own. None make any financial sense at all, so I don't really think cost is a huge factory here. Track cars and 911s are just pure fun no explaining the cost. Fun daily cars can't be financially explained either. The cost of a Honda Accord versus an Audi S4.... Honda is going every time except for fun factor.

It's commonly said that rich people often drive cheap cars, there is no financial justification for any of this. If you are going to do it, you might as well get what you want, if not it is basically a complete waste of money.

The day before this thread started I spent a few hours looking at every Ferrari I could find for sale in Canada, cool as they are, the cost even if the purchase price is somewhat reasonable is insane with maintenance etc.

Rick C likes this.
  19. Chris Slade

I cam close to buying a basically basket case charger a year or two ago, but by the time I got it one the road it would have cost me much more than it's value and it would have taken me probably a decade.

20. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Since the topic has expanded, mine is still going strong. Over the five years I've owned it I've spent twice what I paid for it in repairs. However, it wasn't expensive and it's been worth it.

6893736936_048f37a98b_z_d.jpg