Amazon Echo

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by jasn, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

OK Mine shipped I thought of canceling but did not. It should be here on Monday.

I see they have added support for HUE and lots more music options and even blutooth for handling playlists and Itunes stuff from your phone.

My thought was I will check it out and it I like it fine but if I decide to get rid of it, I will try to meet someone between what I paid for it and what Amazon is charging for them at the time.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'll say we haven't gotten a lot of use out of ours, primarily because we're already heavily invested in other, integrated technologies. So right now we have a $100 tube that adds (sometimes poorly) items to our grocery list*. Its sitting next to a Sonos that sounds a million times better for audio and the "answers trivia questions like how tall is the Eiffel Tower" feature is a gimmick that gets old quickly.

*In addition to it having no better voice recognition than SIRI or anything else, it has its own app, you can't use it to update your OS native task lists. I was able to find an IFFT action that adds everything from Echo's shopping list to a specific task list in iOS tasks but what a jurryrigged way to do things.

3. Max Yokell

How long have you had yours? I hey that Sonos sounds better but does the echo sound good?

I personally was thinking g of bedroom music player for the most part. That couple in the video seemed to have a million uses for it.?

I guess they just added voice control of hue lights to it and if that works well and it plays music well I would be happy. For me I hoping it will earn the space it takes up on the night stand.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

4. Max Yokell

Oh and $99 seemed cheap.

5. CJ

We've had ours for about 6 weeks I think. I'm guessing it hasn't been used once in the last 3 weeks. We have 3 Sonos players already, including one in the bedroom. That's what I mean about already being invested in other systems. Its designed to work with Amazon's ecosystem. I have 2 iPods, 4 iPhones, 4 iPads, 5 Apple TVs, 2 iMacs, and 2 Macbooks. I'm all set on ecosystem already.

My wife, oldest daughter and I have a shared grocery list through Tasks on iOS and OSX. It syncs across all devices, portable and PC, and whoever is at the store has the most up to date list always. Same for notes and calendars etc. If Apple had made a similar device "an always on SIRI" of sorts, I would probably get more use out of it. Amazon is trying to copy that model. If you have a Fire Phone and Kindle Fire, I bet Echo is a lot more appealing.

6. Max Yokell

But does it sound ok?

7. CJ

Eh. Not really. Really poor bass compared to even a Play 1 which is the littlest Sonos.

8. Max Yokell

Wow wish I had known this before it shipped. I was really really close to canceling the order.:)

9. CJ

Maybe you'll disagree. And aren't you an Android guy? I assume none of your apps work together already so you might not be annoyed :p

10. Max Yokell

Funny but the apps working together is what I always liked about Android.

My music is mostly ITunes stuff.

How much is the Sonos stuff? Is it considerably more expensive? I have been looking at Bluetooth speakers and the decent sounding ones are all like $200 + so I thought this was cheap at $99 but cheap isn't good if it sounds like crap.

11. CJ

Sonos is an expensive system to get into. We have about a grand invested for three zones and that doesn't include the amp and speakers for one zone. Two zones are Sonos Speakers, the third is a Zone Player that connects to an amp that powers outdoor Klipsch speakers.

12. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

This is one of the use cases I'm thinking the watch might address.

So as not to derail I will start a separate thread.

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

After reading a number of user reviews I decided to cancel my order. I still like the concept, but the implementation seems to be lacking and I'm not sure it's ready for prime time yet. :(

14. Max Yokell

I am expecting mine today and I am kind of wishing I canceled like Dan but am hoping for the best and if not I am hoping I can sell it for what I paid. :p

15. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

16. CJ

^ if you have Google / Android, I could see it getting better. I don't use Google calendar so.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

My FIL has one. It's kind of a gimmick really.

18. Max Yokell

Ok I have been playing with it for several hours now.

Here are some thoughts...

The asking questions and getting answers is very limited, and for someone used to Google now it is down right retarded which is what I thought of Siri compared to GN but this is far worse then Siri.

I tied it it into my Amazon Prime Account and my Iheart Radio scout as well as Pandora and they all work very well. I also connected it to my hue lights. I can now control the brightness but it can't change color settings only brightness. It is still cool though.

Sound quality is better then most any nightstand alarm clock and many of the Bluetooth speakers I have listened too. It works as a Bluetooth streamer. At $99 it is way better then any of the Bluetooth speakers I could get for that price or more. So not very unhappy with the deal. I believe that it will slowly improve in the Q&A part and I think more functions will come up.

So I think as I learn more about the experience will improve and the sound is about what I expected.

To be continued.....

19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Anyone have an update on usability? Wife mentioned echo as an xmas gift idea. Is it still pretty gimicky?

One benefit I could see would be music steaming from prime. Doesn't sound like sound quality is that great. And now it's $180.

20. Max Yokell

Ok They keep adding functions to it and send out weekly emails with new stuff it can do. Sound quality is not bad, on par with most blue tooth speakers in its price range.

I have it in my bedroom and have Philips Hue lights in there as well. My wife is getting very used to doing things with it. We both use it for music and it is nice just talking to it.

I love the lighting control. Alexa turn bedrooms lights to 10% Alexa turn bedroom lights to 75% it works great. You should go read up on what new features have been added but they are doing their best to make it a home control hub.

I love mine but I only paid $99 for it not $180