1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Amazon Echo Dot wired vs bluetooth

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Bill Stratton, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

I know it's been forever since I hung out here, so please forgive me for that. I do see a bunch of you on Facebook where I hang out (too much).

We have nice Audioengine A5 powered speakers in the living room. Been listening to them via AirPlay streaming from iTunes on a laptop to AirportExpress -> digital out -> AudioEngine DAC -> RCA connection to speakers. They sound great and the addition of the DAC a while back really helped a lot.

We just got the Echo Dot from Amazon and connected that via the 1/8" stereo plug to the AudioEngine speakers analog input. While it's fun to say "Alexa, play XYZ", the quality is barely adequate.

Here's my question: if I got the AudioEngine B1 Bluetooth receiver that has their great DAC in it, and paired that with the Echo Dot, would it sound better than the analog signal coming out the Dot?

So, when playing Amazon music (I'm a Prime member, so there's all that music, plus 1200 songs I've bought from them), the stream would be Router -> WiFi -> Dot -> Bluetooth -> B1 DAC -> analog cable -> A5 speakers.

The main problem I see is that the Dot does not have aptX, but does have Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). (The B1 does have aptX so if provided from the transmitter, it would have this improvement.)

Do you think I will notice an improvement with the Dot to B1 via Bluetooth over the Dot's analog output?

Thanks!