Aluminium duct sealing tape attenuate RF?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by capsuleri, Dec 25, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Ever since I found out that RF from LED and CFL bulbs interfere with Homelink in the Audi I am on a mission not only to find LED bulbs that are compatible and also to find further attenuate any stray RF from the compatible bulbs. Thus I am wondering if wrapping the plastic part of the bulb with the tape would help. In another thread Mike B suggested a capacitor across the the bulb terminals, unfortunately there is no easy access to the back of the bulb socket in my opener. The compatible bulbs I found so far are -

60 watt equivalent (800 lumen) both manufactured by Genie-
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IHHVZTW/?tag=homthelou-20

GARAGE DOOR OPENER LED LIGHT BULB (GENIE)

100 watt equivalent (1600 lumen) -
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPLJZGC/?tag=homthelou-20

I need the 1600 lumen bulbs.

Another thought, Faraday cage around the bulb. Perhaps aluminium window screen mesh from Home Depot may work, not sure how well. Any ideas?

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

AL mesh isn't a great RF conductor, but for this application might be OK, as long as you give it a good drain or ground connection.

AL duct tape does make a good shield, again as long as it has a good ground connection.

3. capsuleri

Thanks Dan. For grounding, should I wrap the Al tape to make contact with the edge of the screw base? Or, connect it to a metal part on the body of the opener with a piece of wire?

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Really, whatever is easiest. Copper mesh and wire would be ideal, but you don't need ideal for this application. The key is making sure the shield has a clear electrical path to ground.

Also, make sure the shield doesn't touch any conductive surface, other than the ground connection. And keep in mind that the bases of LED & CFL lamps tend to run warm. Try not to interfere with airflow around them.

But the best solution would still be to find lamps that don't cause interference.

5. capsuleri

I plan to get the Torchstar bulbs. Add the extra, the belts and suspenders approach... considering the Audi is extra sensitive.