1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ajit Pai is a real serious piece of fucking shit!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Jul 17, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I mean, if you interpret the rule as being a consumer protection then that's logical and not problematic really.

2. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

3. CJ

http://gizmodo.com/verizon-now-says-that-throttling-video-is-totally-cool-1797235250

4. CJ

More

http://gizmodo.com/the-fcc-is-full-of-shit-1797124634

5. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I'm a bit baffled by the term "non traditional" distributed Dos attack. I wonder what the non traditional part was? Was it just one computer? Was it inside the network? :D Not a lot of variables here. Of course, nobody believes it was a DDos attach, I'm just being silly here.

I'm guessing Verizon is battling tower congestion. I don't know what else it could be. Netflix is literally paying to be in their data center. In the end, I don't really mind them throttling the quality down if it creates stability for all the other customers. I was concerned about this when they went unlimited data. Especially when I saw my kids were using north of 50Gb/month on their phones. A 10Mbps video limit is reasonable for a wireless carrier.

6. CJ

Here's my issue. Let's say for the sake of argument I put my phone in a drawer for 29 days and then I pull it out and watch one Netflix movie... you think its OK for them to throttle me? I don't. That's bullshit. Also, we're already paying so damn much for such poor internet service compared to the rest of the world. I know LTE and home broadband are not the same but the bar is already so damn low and its getting worse. And the government is now stepping aside and telling the internet providers "sure, fuck em however you like... go in dry!"

7. capsuleri

Isn't this need to limit/abolish net neutrality counter to free market and capitalism principles? Why does any company need incentives of any sort from the government to innovate? I would argue net neutrality is not regulation but deregulation making level playing field for all ISPs to compete and to innovate. Subscribers benefit is the result not the reason.

8. CJ

That's part of the issue. You get turds like Pai lying and saying that net neutrality is regulation and therefore anti-competitive. He's full of shit, he knows he's full of shit, and he is the clearest example of a fuckboi crony you could ask for. His picture is in the dictionary next to both fuckboi and crony.

DYohn likes this.
  9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

pai-bio-page-04192017.jpg

CJ likes this.
  10. CJ

Honestly... the guy looks like a loser nerd that got invited to sit at the jock table but doesn't know they're making fun of him. He can shove his giant coffee mug up his ass.

DYohn likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Netflix has gobs of money.

12. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I think a 10Mbps cap on wireless video per device is fine. It's technically throttling, but according to Netflix, it would only cause problems with UHD 4K streams. Everything else is well under 10Mbps. They've packaged this as network management and it probably is with the revival of unlimited data.

13. CJ

I'm OK in general, but I'm not OK with throttling the 1st MB. Figure out an algorithm that doesn't pick on certain services.

14. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

I'm not so sure that most people really care all that much. I thought my internet speed was fine until you guys were showing great speed test results and mine just sucked ass. I also did not realize it until I was streaming a lot more and having drop outs. I called Frontier and they "fixed" the problem and it is better but speed test no longer works from my area either so I really do not know.

15. CJ

LOL, they "fixed" the problem by blocking speedtest? Go to fast.com. It uses Netflix servers so it appears to your ISP like you're streaming Netflix. Its a good way to tell if your ISP is throttling streaming. For example on my Verizon phone I can get 30-40 megs on speedtest but only 10 on fast.com because they throttle Netflix.

16. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Thanks! 5.3 mb end number with some bursts to 6.7. I'm getting the sense that it is slow compared to your services.

17. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

CJ - didn't realize that. I just tried fast.com on my home network and got 49 (which is the same result on got on speedtest) and then I took off wifi and Verizon slowed it to 16. I've not used Netflix on my iPhone as of yet. I've only used Netflix at home (if I go on vacation, whatever time I spend in a room, I usually just watch whatever the resort has).

18. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I get 8.94 of ookla and 5.9 on fast .com on vzw.

It's flat on cumcast between the two. I really want to hate Comcast. I really do. But honestly I've really yet to have an issue with them.

19. capsuleri