1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Air and Space Show 2017, Melbourne, Florida

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Jay Brown, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Nice weekend at this airshow. This was my first time in a Photo Pit with both amateur and professional photographers. Lots of gear to see and a very friendly atmosphere. Lots of Canon Full Frames, a few Nikons, and I didn't see any Sony Cameras. The lens ranged from Kits to Full blown professional glass.

A mixed bag of performers, ranging from the Thunderbirds, an F-16, F-18 Superhornet, T-33, B-25, Sky Jumpers, and Patrouille De France. The French Demonstration Team hadn't performed in the states in 30 years, so it was a great surprise to see them perform.

I used mainly my 55-300mm but there were some shots where I had to use the 18-140mm for wide angle shots.

Patrouille De France
    patrouille%20de%20france.jpg

T-33 flown by Greg Coyle
    t33_Greg%20Coyle.jpg

F-18 Super Hornet
    f18superhornet.jpg

Airforce Thunderbirds #6 High Alpha Pass
    thunderbird_6_high%20alpha%20pass.jpg

Airforce Thunderbirds Diamond
    thunderbirds_diamond.jpg

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Great shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Brown likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Really nice shots!

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Active Member Donor

Thank you!! This time around I really paid attention to the Histogram on my camera per the advice of some Amateur and Professional Photographers at the airshow. With the exception of the last shot of the Thunderbirds Diamond, the only post processing I performed were mainly Crop, Dehaze, and Highlights in Light Room 5. Lots of Smoke obviously throughout the show and the Dehazing effect helped to clear some of it out.

My Sigma 150-600 Contemporary came in and I will be trying it out next week while in Asheville, plus an Airshow at the end of the month with the Blue Angels at in Beaufort, South Carolina. I will primarily use the 18-140mm lens for landscapes but wildlife is where the Sigma may come in handy. It's a big lens, and the "Sports" version is larger and heavier. Because of last night's storms I didn't have anything to shoot, but I spent some time getting used to holding this lens attached to my camera in my hands. I thought it was a struggle to move around with a 55-300mm, but that lens is way more manageable now with this new Sigma in the home.