Ahem

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by DYohn, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I don't normally post effusive accolades about audio gear, but when i do it's because it is to me something really special. I use Schiit DACs and in my headphone system, it's a Gungnir Multibit DAC driving a Mjolnir 2 amplifier to my Mr. Speakers Ether C headphones. I really like the sound of this rig, driven via USB directly from my music server. Recently Schiit released what they are calling their Gen 5 USB board, claiming that it "solves" all audio issues that plague USB audio. My Gungnir is upgradable to Gen 5, but I was both skeptical and unwilling to part with it for a couple weeks for the upgrade. Then Schiit released a product called Eitr, which is a USB to S/PDIF converter using their Gen 5 technology. OK, I thought, I'll try this.

This is perhaps the biggest upgrade I've ever experienced in a digital USB-based audio system. The difference in running USB from my server to Eitr then S/PDIF to Gungnir was one of those "holy crap" moments. Much lower noise floor, much better clarity and apparent frequency response, better dynamic range, better everything. It sounds like I bought a new set of headphones. Either the USB input on the Gungnir sucks, or the Eitr is worth 100 times it's $179 price point.

Highly recommended if you use USB audio and your DAC can accept S/PDIF input. I am bowled over.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Wow, that's awesome to hear, and especially given your skeptical nature, pretty damn impressive. Glad you like it and thank you for sharing!

DYohn likes this.
  3. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

They have interesting stuff with an interesting name. A few months ago I checked out the Schiitr since it is nearby. Enjoy the new rig.

Places | Schiit Audio

DYohn likes this.
  4. RJ

RJ Member

I'll have to look into this. I'm just starting to get into headphone listening. I'm currently using a JDS Labs Objective headphone amp.

Glad you're digging the new setup!

5. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Sounds good, David. So, do you install it to USB output from source ? (PC, CDP Etc?} then Coax digital/S/PDIF to your DAC ?

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Exactly.