Ahem - Wireless Access Points

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Andrew Pratt, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

How's the reception on the living room above your theater Andrew?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger soon on a Edgerouter X-SFP and 2 maybe 3 Unifi AP LR units.

112e3eeefaeefe94fc0565654d44ce79.jpg

I'm planning on putting one ceiling mounted centered front to back of the house about 15' from the left side of the house in the basement and the second centered front to back again and about 15' from the right side of the house but in the hallway on the main floor. If I do a 3rd that will go in the garage. The lot is 60' wide. From your experience with the lites do you think I should get 100mbit pretty much every where in my house with this configuration?

2. Dustin B

You mentioned tweaking the default AP settings. Would you mind detailing what you changed?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

You can adjust the power and prioritize AC over N etc. Our house is similar in concept to yours only mine is more evenly split between the levels. Regardless I have my main AP located on the top floor in the hallway outside the bedrooms and it provides access to virtually all the devices in the house. There used to be an AP in the basement but it was redundant so I've moved it to the kitchen to provide strong WiFi out to the rear decks and patio. Between those two AP's I now have 150+ service anywhere I go (inside or out)....and that's just with the regular AC Lite's not the LR's or Pro's. I would be interested in trying one of the new HD's but to be honest I don't need it.

I might also mention that I've actually unplugged the ethernet on a number of devices that only had 10/100 ports as the wireless is significantly faster (AppleTV's for example) so they now stream Plex better than when they were connected to my gigabit switch.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  4. Dustin B

Do you have 2g and 5g on their own ssid or are they on the same?

I've seen one mention that if they are on the same everything will slow to the slowest client. But a big thread on the ubnt forum about band steering makes no mention of that happening.

5. Andrew Pratt

They're on the same SSID and I just let the devices roam. The slowest band issue isn't a problem with multi mode AP's but that said I have the power turned down for the N band so that devices have a better chance of staying on AC.

6. Andrew Pratt

@Dustin B FYI I just ordered a Edge X router since they're $5 off at newegg at the moment. I debated about the SFP but decided the added cost wasn't justifiable over the X for my needs.

7. Dustin B

I've been waiting until I have them fully setup before I posted. Got a 216J synology and pair of 3tb drives for my dad. 2 x-sfp routers ($112 CAD each) and a 5 pack of the LR APs ($560 CAD). 2 aps and one router goes to my dad.

I've got 2 of the aps installed. Need to run a cable to the garage for the 3rd. Router is installed and everything is running off it. Have a basic firewall config right now. Trying to figure out a zone based config. After that need to setup a dynamic dns service. Then get the VPN stuff working so that my nas and my dad's nas can see each other for off site backup and so that we can both VPN into our networks to get access to our nas's.

I'm no network admin so I've got some learning and figuring and trial and error ahead of me.

8. Andrew Pratt

Me neither but like you I'm learning. I'm a learn to do by doing person so I need to get in and get my hands dirty to really understand how it all works.

9. Andrew Pratt

Dustin I'm not sure if you're a plex user or not but a word of advice with your EdgeRouter....when setting up port forwarding don't assume you did it wrong and waste an hour trouble shooting a problem that is easily "fixed" by restarting your plex server ;)

10. Dustin B

Not yet. Might in the future. I'll heed this advice none the less.

I also saw some radiation pattern diagrams. Looks like it pays to mount them with the dome up when mounting on a basement ceiling and wanting good coverage to the rooms above.

11. Andrew Pratt

Yes they radiate out from the wall when mounted as expected so if you want to push signal in the opposite direction you'll need to flip them over....or mount them normally in the room above the basement. My advice would be don't mount them until you know exactly where you want them. I had mine taped to the walls with painters tap for a week while testing.